22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 3:02 PM by Jim_Simon

HD video choppy in timeline

TwoHelix Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm importing a HD video in CS5 and the playback is choppy but if i publish its fine.

Comp Specs:

1992 HP desktop, with Intel 256Mgz processor, 128MB of ram, 25GB hard drive and floppy drive

haha jk !

real specs: Intel i5, 4GB ram, Windows .....much better !

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
          Andrey V Level 2

What is your video card specs?

• 3. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of Premiere Pro? (I.e., have you installed the recent updates?) What operating system? What kind(s) of source footage? What other software are you running at the same time? Tell us more about your computer hardware, including disk setup.

Without more information, I can only guess, and my first guess is that you're reading your source footage from a slow drive or from the same drive that you're running the application and OS from, which can be a bottleneck.

• 4. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
              TwoHelix Level 1

Hi Todd,

There Cannons MOD files that i imported from the camera to my C drive where PPro CS5 is getting it from.

To answer your questions:HP Laptop DM6 model OS is Windows 7 64bit with Intel i5 4GB ram DDR2 or 3, Source footage is MOD files. Running WinAMp fro music at the same time

I also have a XP machine running XP SP3 Intel Quad Core and 3GB ram, Nvida 8800GT Dual DVI on Dell 30" monitor on PPro CS4 and that as well is choppy.

You mentioned that i might be running the video from the same disk as my OS, which it is BTW

• 5. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                Harm Millaard Level 7

'Choppy' is caused by the fact that your laptop is dead-slow and does not meet minimum requirements. Especially with the source material you use.

It is like hauling a 40 ton truck uphill with you granny's 50-year old bicycle, even if you are the cyclist instead of your granny.

Don't blame the messenger, blame your system.

• 6. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                  TwoHelix Level 1

My laptop is dead slow ?....ouch just ouck i bought it a week ago and it run Flash and Photoshop faster then most

desktops but lets forget the "slow" laptop for a moment and i do have a desktop with CS4....is that to slow as well ?

• 7. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Practical minimum requirements for your source material are i7-950, 12 GB RAM, 3 physical 7200 RPM SATA disks and a nVidia GTX 450+ video card. If your desktop meets those requirements, you can edit this material. Otherwise live with the choppy nature or buy a good laptop. For around $ 3 K you can get a nice laptop that will handle this material OK.

My laptop is dead slow ? i bought it a week ago

Last week I bought a granny bicycle. Does that mean it is fast, or capable of hauling that 40 ton trailer uphill? You bought a laptop quite good for PS, just not for video editing.

If you want to know how slow it really is, run the PPBM5 Benchmark

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                      TwoHelix Level 1

Harm, i very much doubt that anyone will have those requirements that does this for a hobby...for a profession sure but not as a hobby.

LOW DOWN: I'm using this to edit videos that are going to be on a Flash site i do, thast only 5% of the site so sure i spent money on the laptop that's over kill for the basic requirements of any Adobe product BUT my main question is I'm using a cannon HD camera ($700 off the self ) and its super clear in HD but getting choppy. What can i do to make it un choppy ? according your statement above i a have to build a new system JUST for PPRO

• 9. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

What you can try, if you haven't already done that, is using Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... , which says Vista but also applies to Win7. It may help to eke out the last drop of performance you can get from your system.

• 10. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                          TwoHelix Level 1

I will def look into the link BUT what type of system would you build to do video editing for HD ? something different then what you had stated earlier because for the basic requirements for PPro is not even close to the specs earlier.

• 11. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

The fundamental problem is that the Adobe minimum requirements are shockingly misleading for the average user.

Minimum requirements only relate to being able to INSTALL the program.

Now, if you want to USE it, then the deficiencies of that requirement list gets pretty obvious. For the most simple codecs, like SD DV-AVI, it might work slowly and a few additions to the system, make it work. But if the codec is even a tiny bit more complex, like HDV or XDCAM, you need more additions or upgrades and if the codec is very complex, like AVCHD, you will find that you need a lot more than just the minimum requirements.

I have suggested several times that Adobe publish a list like this one:

Requirements
                            Adobe's Minimum
                            'Easy' codecs (DV)
                            'Intermediate' codecs (HDV)
                            'Complex' codecs (AVCHD)
                            'Very Complex' codecs (Red 4k)
                            CPUCore2 Duo / AMD Phenom IIQuad core / AMD Phenom X4Quad core + HTi7-950+i7-980X+
                            Memory2 GB6 or 8 GB8 or 12 GB12+ GB24+ GB
                            Video cardany cardrecent ATI or nVidia cardnVidia CUDA card, 450+nVidia CUDA card, 450+Quadro 6000 / GTX 580
                            Disks2 SATA3 SATA3 SATA4 SATA and Raid6+ SATA and Raid

Mind you, this is only a quick and rough indication and Adobe would be very helpful if they designed such an overview. Or they could design an interactive system helper on the web that takes the user through a number of questions and at the end presents the user with an overview of a suggested system.

Just my $ 0.02

1 person found this helpful
                            • 12. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I agree, Harm. In fact, I spent quite a lot of time on this idea of "bare minimum" vs. "practical minimum" vs. "smooth performance" in my recent performance optimization presentation. This is something that I intend to focus on more in the near future---making sure that people's expectations are set better regarding performance and hardware. It causes us (largely me) lots of extra work when people overestimate what software can do on inadequate hardware.

• 13. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well... great... IF you are able to override the marketing types who write the advertising

• 14. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I don't know about "overriding", but we are definitely talking together. They want things to be accurate, too.

• 15. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                                    TwoHelix Level 1

really ?great specs if i was developing 3D content !!!!  has this even been looked at by Adobe ?? these requirements are crazy, i mean crazy stupid and if this was my living i would consider....consider this but look at Apples requirements for Final Cut pro http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/ ...come one Adobe get with it man or you will get people like me who spend more time on this forum rather then editing.

arg !!

• 16. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                                      TwoHelix Level 1

but on a side note allot of cameras output these MOD and other HD files, how come we haven't seen more complaints about this ? Google my post header and see what you get.

• 17. Re: HD video choppy in timeline
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I looked at your link. Only one conclusion:

these requirements are crazy, i mean crazy stupid and if this was my living i would consider...

This is more like it:

Windows Minimum Requirements

• A PC running Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or later), Windows Vista or Windows 7
                                        • 233-MHz Pentium-class processor or better
                                        • At least 128MB of RAM

This is also from the Apple site.

Only problem is you are comparing apples and oranges.

These requirements are not crazy, but realistic for CS5. If you find them crazy, use Premiere 6.0 and XP.

• 18. Re: HD video choppy in timeline