20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 7:09 AM by pauncho1

Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)

uk_eyes

Hello - new to this as you can tell from my question.

Just completed my new build, was very pleased with everything - system works a treat and about to purchase and intsall and register cs5 master this w/e

Realised may need to change mobo in April = advised by intel beacuse of sata2 controller problem with p67 chipset.I intend to replace mobo when corrected versions become available in April.

Question - my system disk is going to be the c300 ssd 128gb - it will contain - windows 7 ultimate, ms office, and cs5 master. When I change the mobo will my pc still work? Do i have to de register the software when i change mobo? or register it again?  Am I better of waiting til April before I install cs5 (though prefer not to). The components of my build will be the very same ones apart from the defective  mobo

I heard somewhere that I can legally use the software on 2 pc's though not at the same time. WIll I still be able to install and use it on my laptop if I need to, after I have changed the mobo in April.

(Also -- does anyone know the answers to the questions if for ms office.)

Thans for you help. I have not installed cs5 on a new build myself before, so really dont know what to expect after changing mobo

(My system -2600k, gigabyte p67a ud7, c300 128gb ssd, 2 *1tb spinpoint f3, evga 580, 8gb ripjaws (2*4gb), liteon bd writer, noctua nhd14, antec hcp1200, lian li x900, windows 7 ultimate)

• 1. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Just deactivate CS5 before exchanging the mobo and then after you have installed the new mobo, activate again.  You may have to activate Windows as well again.

• 2. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            When I change the mobo will my pc still work? Do i have to de register the software when i change mobo?

I would guess not.  Windows itself will probably not consider the mobo change as enough of a change to trigger the Activation process.

Change the CPU, memory and system drive as well, and probably yes.  Change just the mobo, I'd guess no.

• 3. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
              uk_eyes Level 1

Thank you

Does this mean that if I keep my discs and cards and everthing else bar the motherboard exaxtly the same and just plug in the updated version of the same mobo (after reinstalling the same cpu and reseating the heatsink)  - I should not need to re install the operating system and software onto the disc - it should just work?

What do you think - has anyone been here before?

Thanks for your advice.

• 5. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                it should just work?

I would assume so.  Harm thinks maybe not.

• 6. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Why take the risk? De-activating and reactivating is a matter of less than 6 mouse clicks, done in two seconds at most.

It is like installing some new hardware in your system. It is generally advised to pull the power cord out before starting. Of course you can leave it in, but why take the risk? That also costs only a few seconds at most.

• 8. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                    uk_eyes Level 1

Thanks

I will try deactvating cs5 first, then change the motherboard and plug in my existing drives containing the software and op system, then activate windows again - if it'll let me, then enable ms5 again, assuming the pc boots up again

If anyone thinks there should be a clean re install of windows and cs5 after changing the mobo then do let me know and why you think that. I would much rather not have to do it, (some advice on other forums - suggest clean reintsall but i would have thought it should work ok given its the same mobo, and same components

• 9. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

No need for a reinstall, only activating and that is such a simple process, you can't go wrong there.

Help/Deactivate and Help/Activate. That's all.

• 10. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

(I still wouldn't bother with it myself, though.)

• 11. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                          pauncho1

Hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread, but has anyone swapped out a defective Sandy Bridge motherboard yet?

If you have, do you mind sharing the experience? Any issues with Windows or CS5?

• 12. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                            uk_eyes Level 1

Pauncho1

thanks for your request

Im waiting on ud7 b3 becoming available. What are you changing from / to

Do share your experience with changing the mobo

I will certainly let you know of how i find it.. when i do.

at the moment my system works great with original ud7, but i would like to add more hdd's in future so think i will take the plunge and upgrade.

• 13. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                              pauncho1 Level 1

uk_eyes,

I have a Gigabyte P67A-UD7; it's also running very well. I try to minimize use of the defective controllers and have had no issues so far. When I ran the PPBM5 it came in around 25th, in "working condition": ie, not stripped down for benchmarking and with all of the non-video software and unnessary junk I normally use installed. (I think it's dropped down a few places since then.) 

My replacement board (UD7 B3) shipped yesterday, from NCIX in Canada. I should have the machine rebuilt over the weekend and will let you know how it goes.

• 14. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                                uk_eyes Level 1

Pauncho1

How did it go. Very eager to hear the outcome - all good I hope.

Do tell - with any issues you encountered, or advice ...

Cheers

eyes

• 15. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                                  pauncho1 Level 1

uk_eyes

I haven't received the new mobo yet: I'm in a remote area and the mail is taking forever.

Sorry for not updating earlier: I will post as soon as I have news...

• 16. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                                    pauncho1 Level 1

Well, I finally received my motherboard (Gigabyte P67A-UD7). Looks exactly like the old one, at least on casual inspection. Packaging is identical except for the graphics on the outer box. Only difference inside the box is that the SATA cables are black (first ones were blue). I'd forgotten how pretty these boards are- it was kinda cool to have two in the hand...

The switch was monkey-simple. I had to do one re-start, and since I added a few HDD's I had to change the boot order. (I know, this was a Very Bad Idea. Rule #3 is Never Upgrade More Than One Thing At A Time. But it was such a great opportunity to run more power cables and work on the cable management that I couldn't resist.)

Anyways, the software RAIDs were recognized, the drives were there, everything works the way it did and is absolutely fine: it even plays perfectly nicely with a couple of F2s that were a complete nightmare in my older system. 

In short, I checked the new and old boxes and got all the old packing together;

-took out the new board and took off the CPU cover;

-removed the GPU and cables from the old board and labelled them;

-removed the old board from the case, took off the cooler and cleaned it. Don't forget a bottle of 99% Isopropyl alcohol and a few pieces of gauze to clean the old thermal compound off the CPU and cooler.

-cleaned the cpu, removed it, put it in the new board, put on paste and reinstalled the cooler;

-packed up the old board and all accessories;

-did what i wanted to do in the case, reinstalled the board, hooked it up and reinstalled the video card.

(I probably missed some vital steps. This is not a guide, just a gentle encouragement to do it!)

I deactivated CS5 first using the total deactivation method so when I tried to open it I had to re-enter the serial number. Takes 5 seconds if you've already saved it to a text file- and I have.

I forgot to deactivate Lightroom and it didn't seem to make any difference, but I only have it on this machine. I would recommend deactivating first. Can't hurt and like Harm (and maybe others) said it takes seconds.

All in all, it was a totally painless experience (as these things go) and a great opportunity to do a few upgrades I'd been putting off.

• 17. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                                      uk_eyes Level 1

Thanks Pauncho - v useful to know

specifically then  - you didn't need to reactivate windows?

and you didnt reinstall it.

What about the drivers for the mobo - did windows just do the necessary?

I think I will folllow your example over next couple weeks (plan to add a couple of ram sticks at the same time)

cheers

eyes

• 18. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                                        pauncho1 Level 1

specifically then  - you didn't need to reactivate windows?

and you didnt reinstall it.

I never activated it in the first place. But no, it was not necessary to reinstall.

What about the drivers for the mobo - did windows just do the necessary?

Yup. I didn't have to do a thing. And I don't know if the drivers are different.

I really expected the change to be at least a bit of a headache and was prepared to listen to a rousing chorus of "see, you shouldn't have bought a Sandy Bridge", but it was as painless as this type of thing could possibly be.

I originally bought the 2600k expecting it to be just "quite good" and was planning to upgrade as soon as the new chips come out, but I've come to really like it. I hope to be able to borrow an Areca sometime soon and if adding it has minimal impact on the GPU speed I may delay my upgrading plans for a while. A lot depends on being able to get more RAM.

To sum up: it was monkey-simple, and all in all I'm actually happy I had to do it. It was a confidence builder and a good learning exercise. And since I'm basically lazy and more interesting in production/post than in mucking about with my computer, it was an opportunity to do some upgrades. (Like uk_eyes, I have an Antec 1200: they're great, but they're not the most fiddling-around-friendly case in the world).

I had absolutely no problems with the old board, but just for peace of mind I highly recommend the switch.

But of course, ymmv.

Good luck with your system!

• 19. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                                          uk_eyes Level 1

Thanks again to all giving advice on this one

For anyone facing the same. Just changed my mobo to ud7 b3, from orginal ud7 with possibly faulty sata controller.

at the same time added 8Gb ram, total 16gig now.

Deactivated dreamweaver as Harm suggested. (chose the suspend option rather than permenently deactivate - which requires you to key in your secrity key again when reactivating).

Removed connections - installed ram, reseated cpu and cooler, changed the ordering of sata connections to more logical method - simply plugging them into orderd numbering, rebooted.

Windows and word initially asked for reactivation however as soon as inernet connected - this happened automatically without any glitches.

CS5 - seems to have activated by itself

windows seems to have seamlessley taken on the new mobo and extra ram. So far haven't needed to tweak or fiddle with any drivers.

End of build project for now - can happily get on with using cs5 and overclocking

V pleased with 2600k and gigabyte mobo.

Cheers everyone

• 20. Re: Change of mobo for sandy bridge, will it affect software use (CS5 master)
                                            pauncho1 Level 1

Glad it worked out well for you!

I wish I could work on some serious overclocking too, but I made a mistake when I ordered my parts and forgot to order a CPU cooler. I live in a pretty remote area so I bought a Cooler Master V8 because it was available locally and their website said it was compatible (and yes, I knew it isn't the most highly rated cooler around).

However it didn't fit and I've been waiting for months for them to send me new mounting plates- so I'm running at 4.1 on the stock pos cooler.

Anyone living in Northern Canada/Southeast Alaska (or otherwise willing to pay too much shipping) and NOT running a Sandy Bridge, want to buy an overpriced but mint condition Cooler Master V8? (<----- just joking, not a sales pitch. mods, please don't ban me!)

Message was edited by: pauncho1  to make painfully obvious I was kidding