Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 HTML - a back-to-top button for long topics

Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for Robohelp to automatically generate a back to top of page button whenever I create a long topic?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could handle this by use of a master page. This could be setup with a bookmark (e.g. called "top") and a hyperlink at the bottom linked to it. If both the bookmark and the link were part of the master page body, this would do exactly what you want. Then you just need to assign the master page to the required topics.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this code:

<p class="top"><a class="topic" title="Return to Top" href="#">↑ Top</a></p>

Paste it at the bottom of the HTML page before thelast body tag.

The ↑ Top remains visible at all time.

Jac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Albeit, that's not automatic generation 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is, if you've placed it in the footer of the Master page, right?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, if you'd like a floating Top "button" (which always floats on the screen no matter where the topic is, vertically), check out the following.

At the top of each topic (I have it just under the H1 heading):

<p class="top"><a class="topic" title="Return to Top" href="#">↑ Top</a></p>

It will look strange in Design mode, but not in Preview or the output.

In your .css style sheet file (place the p.top after the default p & LI.p settings, and the A.topics after the default A settings). Note: The z-index: 1; is a layering control to ensure that the element always appears "in front."

p.top {
position: fixed;
background-color: #d8e4f8;
border: 2px solid #b0c4de;
padding: 2px;
right: 12px;
bottom: 5px;
z-index: 1;
}

A.topic:link,
A.topic:visited {
color: #0000CD;
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
font-size: 80%;
font-weight: normal;
font-color: 000080;
padding: 15;
text-decoration: none;
}
A.topic:hover {
color: #000080;
font-size: 80%;
font-weight: normal;
text-decoration: none;
}

Obviously, you can customize this for fonts, colors, padding, etc., based on your design needs.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your "top of page" code, it was exactly what I was looking for.  However, I've run into a bit of an issue...

I tested MergeThis' code/css on a few pages of my document.  I made a few modifications based on our own standards and all went well.  So I began the task of adding this feature to only those pages which require a bit of scrolling.  After a few insertions, I realized that it would be better to make it a snippet, that way, if things change later on, I only need to modify the snippet. (of course).  I made this a snippet then added it to a bunch of files, then stopped to test it.  Well, when the doc is generated, it adds "href=../../../#" to the original href="#" depending on location of the particular file and the location of the snippet file.  Ok, so I shouldn't do this type of thing in snippets.

So, to save some time and avoid rework, I deleted the snippet and selected "Delete Snippet And Replace References With Actual Content". I assumed that the code itself would be added to each file, and the actual snippet would be removed from the Snippet pod.   This did not happen, the snippet entry in the Snippets pod was removed, but the files still contained references to the snippet. 

what did I do wrong?

RH8.02.208

WebHelp

(comment on the snippets: I can't add the "top of page" stuff to the master page because I use Zoom search, which causes me to manually add breadcrumbs, to use the <!--ZOOMSTOP--> and ZOOMRESTART comments; and I only want "top of page" to appear on those pages which require scrolling.  This isn't a global thing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not doing anything wrong. RoboHelp Snippets are designed to be created in one place and any relative path gets "helpfully" amended if the topic is several levels down. That you have discovered.

I'm not sure what happened then as I just added a snippet to four topics and saved. Then I deleted the snippet from the pod and selected the third option, the one you specified. The snippet was deleted from the pod and the topics then had the text, albeit with the paths prefixed but that is a simple tidy up.

I have tested in RoboHelp 9 but I'm pretty sure it would be the same in 8. Perhaps try in a test project?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmph.......

I was able to delete/replace snippet with contents on a NEW TEST project.  This operation does not work correctly on my existing project, and it also does not work on an old archived version of my project.  I tested the latter on 2 different machines......no success.

Guess I'm out of luck on this one, unfortunately... I'll have to manually remove the snippet and replace it with contents, so I know it'll be done correctly and cleanly........

If anyone has any other suggestions, tests or fixes, I'd appreciate them

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a question about this. When I add a bookmark named Top to my master page, and then a hyperlink to link to it, how can I get the bookmark to appear for selection in the Hyperlink dialog box? The master page is not considered to be a file in my list of files, so the bookmark does not appear in the "Select destination" list. There's no "Link to: Bookmark" choice. I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

Thanks,

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Alexandra.

The simplest way to do Back To Top is to omit creating any bookmark. Then when you prepare to link, link only to # (pound or hash symbol).

This causes the page to simply reload from the top.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome!

This method's not working for me. I am creating AIR help as my output, and that could be why. I added the link as described, with the # symbol only, and nothing happens when I click on the link in the AIR help.

I would like to try the bookmark method, but can't find the bookmark in the list of available destinations since it's on a master page.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Well dratdarn! Interesting that it doesn't seem to work in AIR. One way would be to simply name the bookmark Top. Then just type #Top for the link.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that too! I also tried the suggestion in reply #2. Also i tried using the "Cable Drum" connector. None of these methods seem to work.

If I open the html files generated by AIR in a browser and click on "Back to Top," I get an "Index" of files in the current folder. (?)

Adobe's own TCS3 help has a "Back to Top" button and they use AIR, so there must be a way.

Thanks anyway...

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about the cable drum connector. Its only use is for working with DHTML.

Okay, I have a few minutes to look at things. Lemme try this setup in an AIR help and I'll report back.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be very interested to hear if you have the same experience in the AIR output.

Thanks for your help on this!
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp