2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 8:33 PM by Andrew Yoole

please help me with choosing the Hardware for my new computer

Awesomestdude Level 1

I am creating a new editing machine that i will be using After effect, photoshop, flash, illustrator, and 3ds max. I do a lot of 3d and 2d animation, video editing and graphic design.

This is the system i am currently planing on building:

CPU: intel core i7 2600k ( I will be overclocking it to around 4.8 ghz)

Motherboard: Asrock p67 extreme6

Memory: G.Skill ripjaws x series 16gb ddr3 1600 cas latency 7

Graphics Card: Gtx 570

Power Supply: Rosewill bronze series 1000w

Hard drive: 4x Corsair F120 in raid 0

Case: Bitfenix collosus

Cpu cooler: Noctua Nh-d14

I have a budget of $2500 for this computer. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things i should change or would recommend a completely different build for my budget.

Also i was wondering if the gtx 570 was a stupid choice and i should get a quadro 2000 instead. I dont do any gaming.

One last thing, do 4 ssd in raid 0 help at all or should i just get 8 hard drive in raid 10, or should i spend less money on hard drives.

P.S. I know that the the i7 2600k has been recalled but i am in no hurry to build this computer. Also feel free to recommend hardware that hasn't yet been released but will probably be out in the next 8 months.

P.S.S All of the programs i listed are CS5.

• 1. Re: please help me with choosing the Hardware for my new computer
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Which graphics card you pick doesn't matter much for After Effects. Ask folks more familiar with 3ds Max what they'd recommend, since that's going to matter more.

You've got a decent amount of RAM, which is crucial.

It also seems that you're thinking smart in terms of having plenty of fast disks. Here's a thread (on the Premiere Pro forum, but still useful for you) about optimum disk setups for performance: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: please help me with choosing the Hardware for my new computer
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Agree with all from Todd, and some things I'd consider:

Dual CPUs will pack more rendering punch, especially in your 3D work.

Even though 16GB of RAM is generous, I'd consider more.  Remember the rule:  2GB for each CPU core,  plus some more for OS and other applications.  If you're running 8 threads/cores for rendering, 24GB would be optimum.

While the hard drives will provide awesome performance in that config, it's a lot of money to spend on less than a terabyte of storage.  RAID 0 is also pretty volatile, so be sure to run a reliable and regular backup system.

For my money, I'd probably use one good-sized SSD for a system drive, then 3 or 4 conventional (or hybrid SSD) drives for media storage, with a decent RAID controller. You'll get 3 times the storage for half the price, and still have quite zippy I/O speeds.