7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2011 12:53 PM by Wedding Warrior

Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!

Wedding Warrior

Hello.

I'm doing wedding videos for quite a while. My hardware included DV500DVD card and premiere 6.5, CPU is Core 2 Duo E8400, 2GB of RAM, Windows XP SP1 (DV500 can't work with SP2 or SP3).

The above mentioned system is quite old, and absolutely not usable for HD videos. So, I've decided to build another machine. The configuration is as follows:

M/B: Asus LGA 1155, H67 chipset.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K

RAM: 4GB DDR3

HDD: 2x 64GB SSD, 4 x 2TB SATA (RAID) (All HDDs connected to separate PCI-E controller, so intel chipset flaw is not an issue here)

I've recently downloaded and installed the trial version of Premiere Pro CS5, to see, how it suits to my needs. And I'm very dissapointed. I've started premiere, selected DV-widescreen preset, inserted two static pictures on timeline, and did an alpha blend between them. Then put movie to export. Not only it took way too long time to render, but it only used single core, and cpu usage is only 15% ! Just for curiosity, I've installed premiere 6.5 on same system, and it did that task about 10 times faster!

What is this, limitation of trial version, or just Premiere Pro CS5 can't be used with this modern CPU ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!
          dpz53

I can relate to your experience..after installing Windows 7 and  CS5 Production Premium, adding another 8 Gig of Ram to my PC, agonizing over the fact that my Nvidia Quadro FX 4600 is not able to utilize  Mercury playback, and spending literally hours waiting for renders,On a hunch and having read about someone else who did the same thing.  I finally took my old PP CS3 and installed it on alongside Premiere CS5. To my surprise,  with 64 bit OS, CS3 performs and renders the exact same content about 4 times as fast, has none of the sluggish idiosyncratic seizures when moving clips around on the time line, no white out error screen  "not responding" messages, etc.etc. I have no problems with After Effects or Photoshop CS5, they operate fine, but Premiere CS5 is as close to non functional as it gets. A :30 render with a couple of Magic Bullet effects, same native  HDV capture format takes about 10 minutes with PPCS3..and about 45 minutes with CS5. CS3 also plays back more smoothly and barely stutters, while I'm forced to sit and render with CS5 due to choking to be able to continue working. One post suggested that I dont have enough gas in the machine, dual core AMD  Opterons 3.2 GHZ....7200 and 10,000 rpm scratch disks, 16 Gig ram..but cannot see how CS5 can possibly under perform CS3 in the same arena. What am I missing here? I'm not whining just baffled.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!
            Wedding Warrior Level 1

Yes this is very strange. I've found a post on creativecow, where another member has exactly the same problem, just CPU is i7-920 and Premiere Pro CS4 is used.

Will Adobe comment this situation at all?

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!
              Wedding Warrior Level 1

Another observation.

I have 8.4gb video clip in HDV format. Just imported it and put to timeline. "indexing media" goes on, and it already taken more than 20 minutes, and even half of media is not indexed yet! Cpu utilization is ever low, less than 3%. I've run hdtune several times - no problems with my hard drives, speed and access time are within declared ranges.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

First off 4GB of ram is really to low for CS5. CS5 is 64 bit for a reason and requires far more ram. 2nd, what video card are you using?

As for the opteron system the other poster listed, you could get the lower end Intel platform and easily out perform that opteron system. A Geforce 450GTS video card would out perform that Quadro by 2 or 3 times and that card is barely over $100.

No offence but you can't run CS5 on minimal or very old specifications and expect the same results as everyone else or older software. If you can't upgrade the hardware then I suggest staying with the previous version until you can. The MPE engine requires allot of resources to function especially ram and your lower spec or older system will just bottleneck the pipeline rather than speed things up.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!
                  dpz53 Level 1

EC..I agree with what you're saying and have already purchased another low end GE Force card to run on my opetron system. But still dont get why Premiere CS5  alone is so sluggish  with 16 gig of ram and slightly outdated processors,and what was a year or so ago a high end Nvidia card, when cs3 screams through the same material. Thats all. It seems that if my processors were so mismatched why would AE CS5 smoke right along, but not Premiere? It is more of an analytical question. I've already accepted the fact. Thanks! 

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Remember AE's engine has not changed. AE does not incorporate the MPE engine. It's still all CPU threading and Ram. In that scenario, the opteron still hold it's own ok. However Premiere is using the MPE and without the correct hardware, the bottleneck will be far more negative than what benefit the ram gives you. Now you have to include the entire pipeline for the video processing which includes CPU, Ram, Bus throughput on the board and video card. If you have a bottle neck at any one point then you will have a negative gain versus the positive that many are experiencing.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 never uses more than 15% of CPU, so, performs much slower than premiere 6.5!
                      Wedding Warrior Level 1

Thanks everyone for in-depth analysis and suggestions.

I've fixed that problem, but I don't know, why what I did, helped it.

I've went to bios, and set CPUID value from DISABLED, to Maximum (34).

and set intel virtualisation technology to enabled.

Now all 8 cores (4 real 4 virtual), get full load when exporting video, and speed really went high (Encoding 48 minutes of HDV video with shadow & highlight filter and auto color filter enabled, to h.264 blue-ray, takes about 52 minutes).