12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2011 7:52 AM by MamenFLASH$

¿How to manage big Flash projects

MamenFLASH$ Level 1

Hi friends. I have a very big proyect completelly developed in FLASX MX PROFESSIONAL 2004. In order to manage it,  I have divided the file in several parts. What I want to do now is to connect that parts and compile them as a Whole. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In what way have you divided it all into parts?

• 2. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects
            MamenFLASH$ Level 1

Hi, Ned. I have like a book with chapters and so I need to go from one chapter to another, to the index, and I have also games. I need to connect all the pieces. At first they were a unique fla file, but it was too big and my computer worked very slowly, so I divided it. Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects

If you want to join it into one file again, then you need to copy the timeline of each file one at a time and plant them into your main file, either into the timeline or into movieclips that you place in the timeline.

Chances are you will be better off not doing that and just having one central file that calls in the other files as requested.

• 4. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects
                MamenFLASH$ Level 1

Yes Ned. I prefer as you suggest to call them from one general file. In this way, do you think it will be possible to keep all the variables I have in the games? What have I to do to call them? If I have to compile them separatedly, then this wouldn't be a problem with the variables? The first thing I did was "great, I am going to transform my big file into a project containing small pieces." But the point is that you need a site a conection to do it. It is supposed to be done in order  to keep the contact with other developers, but I am alone. So I don't need to send my part to other people and keep the control of the different versions.  The idea of the proyect on the other side it is very interesting. Any idea. Thanks

• 5. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects

Your best bet, aside from planning this all out before you started, will be to manage the merger in small steps.  First see what it takes to get one section file loaded/working with the main file.  That may help lead you to doing what you probably needed to reason out before you started... and you may get lucky and find that you won't have any issues with variables, etc.

There are probably details of your design that no one here is going to be able to resolve for you at this level, though if you run into specific problems that you can describe the details of, chances are someone here can help.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects
                    MamenFLASH$ Level 1

Thank you very much. I still want to know how to call fill inside other files and in wich format.

• 7. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects

I don't understand what you mean.  What does "call fill inside other files" mean? What formats?  I thought you broke this one fla into many, which would mean you have lots of swfs.  To load swf's dynamically you use actionscript, and the specific code depends on which version of actionscript you are publish for.

• 8. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects
                        MamenFLASH$ Level 1

Hi again. Yes I am using AS 2. Thanks

• 9. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects
                          MamenFLASH$ Level 1

Hi again. It depends I can have lots of fla files or swf if I publish them. The interesting thing it would be to link the fla files before publish them. So I am triying to understand how the option to create projects in Flash works. The problem is that the instructions are not clear. The say "you can do this, you can do that" but they don't explain you how. Thanks a lot for your patience.

• 10. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects

If your files that you want to load are fairly small byte-wise, then you can probably just use the loadMovie() function.  If they are large files, where you might do better to have loading indication (progress indicator, etc), then you should look at using the MovieClipLoader.loadClip class because it supports having listeners for loading status.  Both of these are explained in the help documentation, which also include examples.  You can also search Google for tutorials on using them if you have no experience.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects

You cannot link fla files.  You need to publish swf's for all of them.  The code for loading them will be planted in the main file.

• 12. Re: ¿How to manage big Flash projects
                                MamenFLASH$ Level 1

Hi. According to the Flash instructions you can Develop a project. The said project can contain files in all the formats,  they can be fla files or wfs files, html files, or even other projects. The idea is that all this material work as a whole. So I am trying to find how. But nobady knows. The instructions also say you can edit your own profiles to publish your files, but it doesn't work. Allways appears the "predeterminado". Is nonsense. If you are working at this level you don't need the instructions say "to open a project press the open project button", but you need other information that doesn't appear. As the Flash become more and more interesting, there are less and less instrucions. I supose everybody have the same problem. Thanks again