13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2007 7:10 AM by JSAP

Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?

JSAP
      Now why would Fireworks CS3 save out flash files as version 3?!?!?!

Version 3 is way way way way...... in the past.

Someone please help me solve this riddle. I need Version 6 to be saved.

JSAP

• 1. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
          How did you determine this?

h
          • 2. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
            JSAP Level 1
            I took the SWF file that Fireworks created and opened it in SWF & FLV player... got movie info / version = 3

=(

• 3. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
              I suspect what you are seeig the the version number of the player you are using (SWF AND FLV) of which is at version 3.
              http://mac.eltima.com/freeflashplayer.html

h
              • 4. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                JSAP Level 1
                No Sir.

The SWF is exported as version 3 unmistakably.

Good suggestion tho.
                • 5. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                  Level 7
                  I see what you see with that player. I downloaded a few other players
                  for windows to see if the same thing shows up there but I can't find one
                  that will show me info on the swf I have open.

I will try a few more - alex

JSAP wrote:
                  > No Sir.
                  >
                  > The SWF is exported as version 3 unmistakably.
                  >
                  > Good suggestion tho.
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                    Level 7
                    JSAP,

I couldn't find any more players for windows that looked promising so I
                    did the following experiment.
                    Exported a swf from Fireworks 8. Showed up as SWF version 3 as well.
                    Exported a swf from Flash CS3. Showed up as a SWF version 9.

I also don't see any settings anywhere in either version of FW to
                    control the version of SWF it exports.

hmmm ...

alex

JSAP wrote:
                    > No Sir.
                    >
                    > The SWF is exported as version 3 unmistakably.
                    >
                    > Good suggestion tho.
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                      JSAP Level 1
                      Alex Thanks for the responses.

Wack isn't it? I mean Adobe gobbled up Macromedia. CS3 supposedly absorbed all the features and enhanced the workflow... Discontinued IR (ImageReady - which btw was exporting flash version 6 files) and all while using an ancient SWF exporter in the latest Fireworks version.

Contrary to the new design and features in CS3, I feel Adobe took 2 huge steps backwards here. I hope the developers read these forums.

BIG UP

Furthermore - I would be willing to cook and eat crow should someone point out how I can change the swf version that is exported from Fireworks.
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                        abeall Level 3
                        > Contrary to the new design and features in CS3, I feel Adobe took 2 huge steps
                        > backwards here. I hope the developers read these forums.

But doesn't CS3 export to SWF 9? Frankly it should give you at least a couple different options to choose from.

Incidentally, what are you exporting SWFs out of FW for? I'm always curious, because I always import my FW document in Flash, tweak and optimize, then export from there. Flash is the only fully trustable SWF creator.
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                          JSAP Level 1
                          Fireworks I thought... was ideal for the batch processing of images. I am dealing with 1000's of png images that need to be converted to swf files. SWF files because of the file size, and they are to be put onto servers that will essentially be dynamically loaded into websites.

Daddy can't use version 3 swf files. I need atleast version 6. Agreed! it should give you a couple of options to choose from, but Adobe FW isn't that accommodating.

Any 1 else?
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                            ah - just download a program for windows that allows me to see the swf version, I see what you mean - it shows version 3. Interesting.

h
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                              Level 7
                              So why don't you use ImageReady? Even though it was discontinued I am
                              sure one can get a copy somewhere out there - alex

JSAP wrote:
                              > Fireworks I thought... was ideal for the batch processing of images. I am
                              > dealing with 1000's of png images that need to be converted to swf files. SWF
                              > files because of the file size, and they are to be put onto servers that will
                              > essentially be dynamically loaded into websites.
                              >
                              > Daddy can't use version 3 swf files. I need atleast version 6. Agreed! it
                              > should give you a couple of options to choose from, but Adobe FW isn't that
                              > accommodating.
                              >
                              > Any 1 else?
                              >
                              • 12. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                                Level 7
                                Have you looked at this?

http://www.swftools.org/

alex

JSAP wrote:
                                > Fireworks I thought... was ideal for the batch processing of images. I am
                                > dealing with 1000's of png images that need to be converted to swf files. SWF
                                > files because of the file size, and they are to be put onto servers that will
                                > essentially be dynamically loaded into websites.
                                >
                                > Daddy can't use version 3 swf files. I need atleast version 6. Agreed! it
                                > should give you a couple of options to choose from, but Adobe FW isn't that
                                > accommodating.
                                >
                                > Any 1 else?
                                >
                                • 13. Re: Fireworks saves SWF's in Flash Version 3?!?!?
                                  JSAP Level 1
                                  Yah' Mon Right By Da' Beach

I downloaded and compiled swftools. Great tool set! (big Up to Mathias Kramm & Gang) thing is... the outputted SWF file is the same file size as the png file in SWFTOOLS. No compression. I have been posting in that forum as well to no avail. There seems to be some binary component that will do compression however I have not been able to get that to work. Anybody have any information on this?

Also, I did install CS2. And guess what?! I like it sooooo much better. Now I have ImageReady, and I can use all of my old droplets and well... quite frankly... I am as happy as a clam.

CS3 has moved to the back seat and I am not pulling over for a rest stop for a long long time. (well... Next Adobe CS release)

Do IT!