1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2011 3:33 PM by _durin_

Features and workflow.

pks1

For my purposes, this is a great improvement over Soundbooth and over the $600+ editors I have been using. I look very much forward to the full release. I am particularly pleased by plugins and the improved spectral display and lasso tool with its sharp edged selection. I can remove intermodulation distortion and noises very effectively by selecting between overtones, as fine as octave. The mix paste is especially useful (see below).

I have been using Audition primarily to restore old recordings: tape, lp and 78, so I am using it in mono and stereo-not multichannel. My files are generally large and I am repeatedly using filters and plugins. I would like to use Audition as my main editing station—I now bounce files between three—but Audition has real workflow problems.

The effects filters are quite useful. The noise reduction filter is better than in Soundbooth but still prone to producing artifacts. The plugin compatibility is hit-or-miss, for example Izotope plugins work, but Bias and NuGen plugins do not. It appears that one can communicate with the Audition interface but not through it to the plugins themselves. I presume that is a matter of time. Effects filters, esp. the parametric EQ, could use reset buttons.

I am using multiple filters. For example a file may be normalized, ticks removed, bandwidth limited, re-equalized, noise reduction applied, individual defects removed and finally renormalized. Often filters work together and interact so one may want to compare them when applied in different orders.So:

1. Audition needs something that can enable auditioning configurations of filters before committing to them. It could be as simple as a list of effects as in Peak, a V-Box of some sort, photoshop-like layers--anything!

2. Filters and plugins need to stay open or at least on the desktop after they are applied. I am often using plugins repeatedly, but plugins are applied and dismissed completed. I have to go back to the menu lists, sometimes three levels deep, to find them again. This is really difficult when one is removing individual ticks.

3. Similarly, it should be possible to have several filters simultaneously on the desktop.

4. The display resolution and the toggle for playing the entire spectrum or only what is selected are inconveniently placed in the prefs. I often want to change display settings as I am working. The "play only selected frequencies" toggle is really not about display but what one hears.One needs to listen to the selection to be sure that what is selected is what was intended and then listen to the overall sound of the clip as the selected area is altered or removed. I am constantly opening and closing the preferences to use these controls. The paly spectrum toggle was oddly placed in Soundbooth, but once found, It was easy to get to and keep available on the desktop.

5. Mix paste is great. My only problem is that while one can paste limited spectrum from a lasso, if one reduces or removes the underlying sound when one pastes it, the entire spectrum is removed during the time segment of the mix paste. The result is that the clip has only the pasted selection. The workaround of erasing first then selecting and mix pasting is slow and imprecise.

6. and minor. Batch works quite well except if there are many files and/or each file requires lengthy processing. Given an overnight job like 20 files, each of which is 100 Mb± and requires 20 minutes of processing, Audition begins to post error alerts, file-by-file, starting in the first half hour. They indicate that processing is not possible because files or directories do not exist. It does not crash and works at doing the processing but does not save it or make it available in the file pane. Batch processing the same files individually or a few at a time works.

7. Finally I would like to be able to apply an even higher resolution when looking at very small area. A spectrum analyzer might do the same job. Or, would it be possible to give a constant repetition of a second or so in which one could listed to a small range of frequencies: a sort of "vertical scrub"?

8. I would like to have user adjustable guides, particularly horizontal.

• 1. Re: Features and workflow.
          _durin_ Adobe Employee

Thanks for this detailed feedback and use case.  I think much of what you're looking for with regards to effects workflow can be done using the Effects Rack panel in the Waveform editor.  Click Window > Effects Rack to open or expose it.  Here, you can open up to 16 simultaneous effects, reorder them as needed, open or close each effect parameter interface as needed, and even save your favorite configurations as Rack Presets. 

To adjust the Spectral Display resolution, you can use SHIFT+CMD+UpArrow or DnArrow.  The FFT resolution will be displayed at the bottom of the application in the status bar.  Furthermore, right-clicking upon the PLAY button will allow you to toggle the "Play Spectral Selection Only" mode on and off.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean with regards to "if one reduces or removes the underlying sound when one pastes it, the entire spectrum is removed during the time segment of the mix paste. The result is that the clip has only the pasted selection."  Can you elaborate a bit further so I can reproduce what you're seeing?  Oh wait, do you mean that the extent of the reduced audio is not the original selection length, but only the length of the pasted portion?  I've entered this as a bug/feature request.

The Batch Processing queue system has been improved since the Public Beta release.  Now, Save operations are inserted in the first available queue slot, so if you have 10 files, and 3 are being processed simultaneously, the first file will be saved before starting processing on the 4th file.  This should minimize the number of open files and potential for losing work should a problem arise at some point in the process.

For the "vertical scrub," if I understand your request correctly, you can vertically zoom into Spectral view by right-click and dragging in the right-hand frequency ruler, then drag up and down to adjust your position.  By making a Marquee selection in this window and enabling Loop playback, you would be able to preview a very short, very tight range of frequencies.  Additionally, you can drag the marquee selection up and down to preview different regions without making a new selection.  Finally, in Spectral view, you can adjust the amount of Linear vs. Logarithmic scaling by holding SHIFT and scrolling your mouse wheel up and down while your cursor is over the Spectral display.

Guides are in the feature database, but were not able to be completed in time for this release.  I'll add your notes to the entry in the feature database.

Thanks again!

Durin