8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 5:14 AM by gustavomeuwesgmail

Can't play presentation with music

gustavomeuwesgmail

Hi:

I have Adobe Reader X (Spanish) and latest Flash Player installed.

In Edit - Preferences - Multimedia of Adobe Reader X, I set as default player "Adobe Flash Player" since I don't have Windows Media Player or Quick Time installed in my computer.

I'm trying to play a PDF presentation with sound. The same presentation but without sound runs OK. Slides changes fine in auto mode.

But when trying to play it (sound is a .mp3 audio sample) a Javascript windows appears saying "Adobe Error playing this multimedia clip".

A friend in another computer with also Adobe reader X can play the file OK. Sound is playing fine. But he has as default player Windows Media Player.

So maybe it's a wrog configuration of Adobe Reader or Flash Player?

How can I solve problem?

Best Regards

Gustavo

• 1. Re: Can't play presentation with music
          gustavomeuwesgmail Level 1

Some more info.

I'd recently reinstalled Windows (HD Formatted) and installed Adobe Reader X, so no other old version of Adobe is in my computer.

The friend that can play the file, try to play it under a limited user account and Javascript windows appears too. So it seems a matter of administrator privileges.

But in my case I have Win XP SP3 with only one account created, and of course with Administrator privileges.

Regards

Gustavo

• 2. Re: Can't play presentation with music
            pwillener Level 8

I don't know if Reader X uses the installed Flash Player, or its own plugin.

What Flash Player version do you have installed - the ActiveX for Internet Explorer, or the plugin for other browsers?

• 3. Re: Can't play presentation with music

Hi!

I have both installed, ActiveX (for IE) and Plugin (for Opera).

I'd tried with v10.1.102.64 and now have updated to v10.2.152.21 RC2 (Adobe Labs).

With both versions the same result. Unable to play presentations with sounds. Message: "Adobe Error - Can't play multimedia clip".

I'd done some test in another computer and seems to be that you must have installed Windows Media Player, although later you set as default player in Multimedia settings Adobe Flash Player.

Regards

Gustavo

• 4. Re: Can't play presentation with music
                Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There are two types of rich media in PDF files - "legacy" and "Flash". Legacy media is the type created by Acrobat 8 and earlier, and hands off the playback of the video or audio to an external application such as Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc. Flash media is the type created in Acrobat 9 and later, and uses the embedded copy of Flash Player in Adobe Reader 9/X and Adobe Acrobat 9/X - it NEVER uses an external application, and NEVER uses the external copy of Flash Player you have installed for running SWF content in your web browser. The embedded version is different, intentionally so that it can block certain types of local and network access which could be used for malicious purposes.

Creation of legacy media was possible in Acrobat 9, but has been removed from Acrobat X. Playback of legacy media in Acrobat/Reader 9 and later is disabled by default, so the user must actively choose to run the content by clicking the document message bar, and/or setting trust options.

The fact you're getting a JavaScript alert indicates the media is being controlled by scripting, and if legacy playback is disabled those functions will not work, hence the errors.

Adobe strongly advises all PDF authors to use Flash media in their PDF files. Legacy media not only suffers from issues with unreliable playback on different computers, but it has a number of known security holes which cannot be entirely closed and have been actively exploited to distribute malware. This is why support for authoring legacy content has been discontinued, and legacy playback should only be allowed in files you completely trust.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can't play presentation with music

Hi Dave:

Thanks for your reply. It's very clear. But as I understand., Adobe Reader X has the built-in (embedded copy of) Flash Player, so nothing more is needed, and if I trust the document I want to open, by clicking the document message bar, and/or setting trust options, the legacy playback should be available, Yes?

But in my case doing the two options for trusting, javascript windows appears and presentation plays without sound.

In properties of the PDF file I want to run, only PDF Version 1.5 appears.

I'm just new in all these and maybe I'm asking silly things. Sorry about that.

Regards

Gustavo

• 6. Re: Can't play presentation with music

Hi again Dave:

Something more. Although I set in Adobe Reader X - Edit - Preferences - Multimedia Trust: Trusted Documents and Other Documents permissions to ALWAYS for Windows Built-In Player and Adobe Flash Player (Windows Media Player and Quick Time to NEVER), and accept and then I open the same document, each time I open it, the document message bar appears asking if I trust in document.

Regards

Gustavo

• 7. Re: Can't play presentation with music
                      Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The embedded Flash Player is only used for Flash media created in Acrobat 9 or later - legacy media will *always* use an external application. As your PDF is version 1.5 it must contain only legacy media, so will require external applications registered for each type of file.

• 8. Re: Can't play presentation with music

Hi Dave:

Now it's clear.

Thanks again for your support.

Best Regards

Gustavo