10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 1:13 PM by the_wine_snob

What are the best settings for rendering stop motion

Susie2742

My son's stop motion animation project is about 8000 pictures which were shot at 2816 x 2112.  He has them set up at 10fps.  We're a little overwhelmed by all the rendering options.  He is trying different things and then rendering but it takes about an hour between each test run to see the results of his test.  He'd like to produce the highest quality possible for posting on the web.

What would be the best settings for him to use for exporting?   We've tried the default settings for MPG1 and there is a significant qualty loss from the results he got form having it render to a DVD.

Thanks

• 1. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
          ks0710

take a sub set of pics - maybe 20 and experiment then choose then render once for all.

• 2. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Susie,

How does your son need to deliver the output footage?

That should direct you to say, DVD-Video, or to Flash (FLV) for display on the Web with an embedded Flash player. If the file will be played back on a computer, there are more options available, but consideration needs to be made on how to transport the files, and what max sizes might be required.

Let us know a little more about the delivery, and someone can direct you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
              Susie2742 Level 1

Our test haven't helped us much as sometimes you test a smaller portion and it outputs with no problem but the full movie will render for a while and then stop with "Error compiling movie."

We will output to an external harddrive and then upload to youtube.  He'd like for it to be as high quality as he can get while staying within the youtube filesize of 2gb.

Thanks for your help.

Susanne

• 4. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
                nealeh Level 5

Susie2742 wrote:

My son's stop motion animation project is about 8000 pictures which were shot at 2816 x 2112.

PRE will not work well with pictures that size - it will choke when resizing them to your output format. As it is a stop motion project I'm going to assume that you are not using pan and zoom.

You mentioned DVD as one wanted output format. For that you should resize those images to 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). If you have Photoshop Elements that would be ideal for doing the conversion.

For YouTube there will always be a lack of control in what you upload as they will re-encode it. This FAQ entry should be helpful: How can I get the best quality on YouTube? Many people report better results with the second entry described in that link.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
                  Susie2742 Level 1

Okay we did what you suggested and resized 8000 pictures to from  2816 x 2112 to 740 by something. 

Then we opened up the movie and it looks great except I think because it was set up with a large size picture and we've loaded up a smaller picture it is doing this...

ExampleforAdobe.jpg

When we render it... it renders like this with the picture very tiny in a large black area.  Is there a way to globally tell the save that the pictures are all a different size?

Thanks for your help so far!

• 6. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The Project Preset is not DV, i.e. 720 x 480 (or 576 for PAL).

The still images should be sized to about the Frame Size of the Project. I do my Scaling in PS, and will go with exactly the Frame Size, say 1920 x 1080 for an HD Project, unless I need some extra pixels to Pan on a Zoomed out image.

What is your Project Preset (Edit>Project Settings>General)? That would be the pixel x pixel dimensions to use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
                      Susie2742 Level 1

When I check  Project Preset (Edit>Project Settings>General) it says this:

AdobeProjectSetting.jpg

I think this is my problem:

AdobeScaleEx.jpg

For some reason when it loaded up all the pictures that were resized down to 740 x 555 it changed the scale of each to 28.2.  It looks like I can fix it possibly by going through and editing this to 100 but I'd really like to find out if there is a way to do that globally without having to do it for every single one of the 8000 frames.

I tried doing Select All and then Effect Controls but it tells me "No Clip Selected"

Thanks

• 8. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Effects cannot be adjusted in a purely global manner, but you can come close. For your first still image, make all necessary Effects adjustments, say Scale to 100% (check your Position parameters too!), and when done, Rt-Click on that adjusted Clip, choosing Copy. Now, Select all such clips/stills in the rest of the Timeline, and Rt-click on one of them, choosing Paste Attributes. Done. One Caveat: if you have added other Effects, or have made other adjustments to the fixed Effects, ALL of those Effects, or parameters WILL be Copied/Pasted to the other Clips/stills. When doing the Copy/Past Attributes, I make sure to clean up/remove all Effects, or Effects parameters, that I do not want, before I do the Copy. My "source Clip" will be otherwise "clean," except for what I want. What can happen if you do not do this is that you will end up with ALL Effects, and maybe duplicates of some, in all of the other Clips. Say that you have added Adjust>Shadown & Highlight to ALL Clips already, including your Source Clip for these attributes, complete the Copy/Paste Attributes operation, then you can end up with two Adjust>Shadow & Highlights in all of the rest.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
                          Susie2742 Level 1

Thank you so much for all the help!

We finally have a completed movie that is uploaded on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agdCdl6NI6Y

Amazingly created with Premiere Elements 1.0 on an aging 32 bit HP Pavilion running XP that was maxed out at 2gs of ram.

I really need a new computer and software before he starts another movie.

• 10. Re: What are the best settings for rendering stop motion
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Susie,

Absolutely fantastic!!!! Thank you for sharing that. I only hope that it was as much fun to produce, as it was to watch.

I do not envy you doing all that work on your computer - just think how much fun it will be on a new one.

The only comments that I have are:

• The Audio for Cindy, at her introduction might stand to come up a bit. Other than her opening lines, all else was at a good level.
                            • When the ship "sails for Japan," I think that I'd have held that scene a few seconds longer, letting the ship get out of the frame, at least a little more.
                            • The vignettes for the telescope views, might be a tad soft. Just a touch less Blur on the Matte would keep the viewer from initially wondering what that view was.

Other than that, I could not find ANYTHING else, that I might have altered. As you can see, and especially for such a detailed production of that duration, the list is microscopic, and only reflects my personal tastes.

Just fantastic, and again, thank you so much for sharing. I've not seen anything of the type that has been any better. All of you should be so very proud of that production. I've seen tons of graduate-level films, and from some noted film schools, that do not even come close. The writing, the animation, the post production, were all wonderful, and the lighting on the night scenes were done very well indeed. Some DP's in Hollywood could take a few lessons.

If this is for a competition, let me know where to vote, and how many times I am allowed to do so. Folks, I think that we have a "WINNER" here. Hope that everyone on this forum takes the time to watch - they will not be sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - loved the titles too - just the right touch.