10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 1:33 PM by neilblue

New System, Suggestion needed

neilblue

Greetings Everyone

I am building a new system and would like some suggestions on the parts list. This system will be for CS5 video editing and general use running Windows 7 in 64bit.

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro

CPU: Intel i7 2600K

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600

Harddrive 1: OCZ RevoDrive PCIe SSD 120GB (OS)

Harddrive 2: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 120GB (General Files)

Harddrive 3: WD Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Media)

Harddrive 4: WD Caviar Black 1TB SATAIII 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Pagefile, Media Cache)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 UD

Transcoding Card: WinFast PxVC1100 with CRI Dual-CS Encoder

Any pros, cons, or suggestions would be great. Thank you

Jason

• 1. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Take note of this:

Note: Before  installing the RevoDrive it is important to check the  settings/capabilities on your motherboard. If you plan on using the  RevoDrive as a boot drive please check that your motherboard supports  boot over PCI-E, and note that due to limited option ROM space, it is  often not possible to use the RevoDrive while the Onboard RAID  Controller is enabled on many motherboards. Check with your motherboard  manufacturer for the latest platform information and BIOS updates and  refer to our Tested Motherboard Guide, or visit our support forums for more information regarding compatibility/installation.

No more expansion capabilities on that platform. All the PCI-e lanes are used, so no more PCI-e devices can be added, no raid controller, no PCi-e audio card and definitely not the Winfast PCI-e card. Not because it is a bad card, simply because the P67 platform is not capable of that, due to the architecture.

If you want a configuration like this, with the Revo and the Winfast, look at the X58 platform with an i7-950+ and either 12 of 24 GB memory with room for future expansion.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
            JCschild Level 3

harm would be correct if you use the revo drive.

what harm didnt bother to mention is SSDs are a joke. see this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/787144?tstart=0

take out the silly revo drive and no issues whatsoever create 2 sets raid 0 more than enough speed

you have 4x left over for the winfast (1x) still leaving 3x for other things..

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              harm would be correct if you use the revo drive.

Correction: harm IS correct if you use the revo drive.

• 5. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
                Jim_Simon Level 9

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro

Where did you find one?  Seems many have been pulled due to a design flaw.  They're not scheduled for rerelease until April.

• 6. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
                  neilblue Level 1

This system will not be build for at least a couple months. Being so, my options may change a bit with price reductions or new parts being released.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm not too concerned with expansion (should i be?) it would probably come to parts replacement vs expansion when the system starts getting up there in age.

I haven't fully looking into campatibilities with the motherboard but i'm fairly sure I seen in some threads that this mobo was capable of running the revodrive.

Anymore sugguestions to do with the drive set up / configuration? would it be cheaper or safer to have more drives in a raid config or is the speed of the revodrive worth it?

Thanks again. I appreciate everyone taking time to reply.

Jason

• 7. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Anymore sugguestions to do with the drive set up / configuration?

Did you not read my reply? You can't add a raid controller to that platform with the configuration you intend. and if you skip the Revo in lieu of a raid controller, that means your video card will only run at 50% of its speed.

would it be cheaper or safer to have more drives in a raid config or is the speed of the revodrive worth it?

Yes, but only on another platform.

• 8. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
                      neilblue Level 1

This is exactly why I am asking questions, because I am very new to this. It is not that I haven't read your reply, it is that I did not fully understand it.

Motherboard PCIe Specs:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
                      1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 * [Black] (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)
                      2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
                      2 x PCI
                      *The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot, USB3_34 and ESATA12. The PCIe x16_3 runs at x1 mode by default for system resource optimization.(PCIe x1_2 will be disabled.)

Basically, you are saying with the PCIe specs of this Motherboard it wouldn't be worth having the graphics card and a raid controller because the 2 PCIe x16 slots would share it's bandwidth (x8/x8)? This makes sense and thank you for pointing that out to me. I am certainly not against changing my game plan, so when I asked if it was cheaper/safer to go with raid vs the revodrive it didn't necessarily mean with this platform.

Now, I will assume, since your answer was "Yes, but only on another platform", that you would choose a raid system over a RevoDrive?

Thank you

Jason

• 9. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Basically the P67 platform has 20 PCI-e lanes. You can divide that in 16+4 (the video really requires 16 lanes) or 8+8 (the video then runs at half speed, but a raid controller runs at full 8x speed) and some other 4 lanes for PCI-e 1x cards.

The major contrast with the X58 platform is number of PCI-e lanes (20 versus 36) and dual channel memory versus triple channel memory.

Now, I will assume, since your answer was "Yes, but only on another platform", that you would choose a raid system over a RevoDrive?

Definitely. A SSD setup is around 40x as costly as a conventional disk setup per GB and does not deliver any noticeable performance benefits for video editing. The problem with the P67 platform is that you can only go for a raid card if you are willing to run your video card at half speed, and that is probably not what you envisage in your new system, is it?

1 person found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: New System, Suggestion needed
                          neilblue Level 1

I want to thank everyone for there posts. They have been very insightful and I have learned a lot. I will go back to the drawing board with this system.