7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 6:51 PM by jiali@adobe.com

InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable

emerasoft.srl Level 1

I just installed Adobe Drive 2.1; while I can easily access to the "check in" menu from Photoshop CS5 and Illustrator CS5, this is not possible from InDesign CS5.

I am using the latest updated release on Mac OS X 10.6.6.

Is anyone having the same problem?

Best,

Luca

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable
          jiali@adobe.com

Hi Luca,

I think what you said is that: there is no "check in" in the ID menu when create new doc in ID. this is As-Design. you can check in the document by 'Save' or 'Save as' to the Adobe Drive mounted drive. then there is will be 'check in' confirm dialog.

Hopefully this can help you.

Thanks,

Jianfeng

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable
            emerasoft.srl Level 1

Hi and thanks for your reply.

But I have to tell you that there is a "Check in" menu under the File menu in InDesign CS5 and this is what I just got:

- created a document

- saved it inside a folder inside the CMIS resource

- effectively the commit window was shown

- closed the document

- re-opened the document on the CMIS resource

- it was a emprty document so I created a text document

- saved the document (NO commit window was shown)

- under the File menu I saw that the Check in menu was finally switched on and usable

- clicked on File > Check in: I got the commit window and it correctly reported it was version 2 of the document

Best,

Luca

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable
              jiali@adobe.com Level 1

Hi Luca,

The 'save' will invoke the check in dialog only for the new created documnet. if the document have existed, the save will Not invoke the check in dialog.

So it's right for following step:

"- saved the document (NO commit window was shown)".

Can this help you?

Thanks,

Jianfeng

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable
                dimgy Level 1

Hi Jianfeng,

the behaviour described here is the same problem is posted some weeks ago in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/748039?tstart=0.

PS/AD2:

A when a file coming from the AD2 mount is being saved, no checkin dialogue appears and the file is consequently not checked in. This is ok (to me).

But:

variant 1. If I then close the file and it still has open edits, the checkin is shown and the file saved AND checked in.

variant 2. If I close the file and it does not have open edits (because I saved it by using 'save' before), no checkin is shown and the file stays uncommited unless I check it in manually in Finder.

=> currently, when I close the file, the behavour is different whether the file still has open edits or not.

To me this is inconsistant and will create a lot of uncommited files in AD2 (unknown to the user of PS).

Is it possible to correct this current behaviour ?

=> Imho, closing a file from PS should always show a commit dialogue if the file is currently checked out to the user.

Kind regards,

dimgi

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable
                  jiali@adobe.com Level 1

Hi dimgy,

As you see, the following behavior you mentioned is As Design.

"variant 1. If I then close the file and it still has open edits, the checkin is shown and the file saved AND checked in."

For this case, because the file has been changed,  so if close it, we suppose 'check in' and 'save' operations are equals. there should be these buttons to show in the confirm dialog.

But for the following case, because the file has been saved by user initiatively instead of 'check in'. so we suppose user just want to close but not check in, there should be no 'check in' confirm dialog.

"variant  2. If I close the file and it does not have open edits (because I saved  it by using 'save' before), no checkin is shown and the file stays  uncommited unless I check it in manually in Finder."

For your following issue, my suggestion is that browse the files, check status and batch to 'check in' in Bridge.

"create a lot of uncommited files in AD2 (unknown to the user of PS)."

Hopefully it can help you.

Thanks,

Jianfeng

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable
                    dimgy Level 1

Hi Jianfeng,

thx for your quick reply. I see that this behaviour is not a bug but as designed.

Still,  I believe that this design is not behaving as users would expect it  (save, close, all done.). The DAM should be as transparent to the users  as possible, not burdening them with additional tasks. We were not  planning to teach our creative staff how to check in. In Sharepoint, for  example, the files get automatically checked in when you close them in a  Sharepoint-aware App like Word or Excel - regardless if they have just  been saved or not.

Maybe there could be config options to control this behaviour in the future ?

Another  thing is that dropping Files into the mounted drive in Finder also  requires an explicit commit while a "save-as" from an AD2-aware app does  an automaic checkin.

Kind regards,

Martin.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5: check-in menu not usable
                      jiali@adobe.com Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion. we will invesigate them in next release.

Thanks,

Jianfeng