9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 5:21 AM by Steve Grisetti

ActiveMovie Window Application Error

Userwithaprob Level 1

As I try to open a project, and just before PE9 crashes, I get the following message:

ActiveMovie Window: PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe - Apllication Error

The instruction at "0x1457f2da" referenced memory at "0x14cbf000".  The memory could not be "read".

Clck on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

_________

No matter which option I take, the program exits.  I have no idea what is going on.

• 1. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We really need more information to be able to help you.

This article will give you some idea of the kind of information we need.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0

• 2. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error
            Userwithaprob Level 1

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)

Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU

E6850 @ 3.00GHz

2.99 Ghz, 3.00 GB of RAM

Display 1

Device

Name: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700

DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Approx. Total Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)

Drivers:

Main driver: nv4_disp.dll

Version: 6.14.0011.6947 (English)

Date: 01/12/2008 20:00:11

Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Display 2

same as above except

Current Display Mode: 1152 x 864 (32) bit (60Hz)

Sound

Device

Name: SoundMax HD Audio

Device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01VEN_11D4DEV_1984SUBSYS_1

Manufacturer ID: 65535

Type: WDM

Drivers

ADIHAud.sys

Version: 5.10.0001.5491 (English)

Date: 01/12/2008 19:57:57

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Provider: AnalogDevices

HDDs

2 x 74.4GB, 1 x 1.36 TB; Local Disk C:\OS, programs, 31.3 GB in My Documents inc. 13.6GB of PreE9 files with 1.22GB free ; Local Disk D:\ 20.1GB music, 18.5GB Nikon photos & videos, 14.7GB of PreE9 files, with 5.47 GB free; External Drive F:\ Seagate \ WDC WD800ADFS-755LR2 inc 22 GB of PreE9 files with 1.26TB free.

___

Procesor scheduling & memory usage set on "programs".   Total paging file size for all drives: 3069 MB; Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3; NLE: not sure how to identify this; Steam and Skype can be going on in the background.

ASSETS:

Nikon CoolPix6000.   AVS VideoConverter 7.1 - Non-activated identifies my avi files as - Video Codec: IBM Motion JPEG; Frame Size: 640 x 480 pixels; Bitrate: 8754 kbps; Frame Rate: 30 frames / second; Audio Codec: PCM; Sample Rate and Size: 8000 Hz 8 bit; Bitrate: 64 kbps; Channels: 1.

After repeated attempts dealing with low memory messages and in some cases total system crashes, my most recent effort involved recreating my project instead using Windows Movie Maker to save each video as "DV-AVI (NTSC)"   After adding photos, videos, and text, I had commenced adding audio (.wma), when the system crashed and now I can't open my project as the file is damaged.  The total failure occured as I was trying to slide a .wma file along the Audio 2 bar.  Appears as though days of work gone!  In fact, I have been playing around with this for almost two months now.  Good thing I have patience.

PROJECT:

A 45 minute DVD of photos and video clips with background music.   Maybe it is not even possible to make a DVD?  I don't know.  Project preset - I don't know what this means.

Other things:

Installing PreE9 in the first place was a challenge.  I started with the Photoshop Elements, and then PreE9 trial version and when I upgraded I ended up unistalling the trial and buying new instead of doing the upgrade fix.  I created my project as a slideshow viewable using windows media player.  The quality wasn't all that great so then I downloaded the trial version of PreE9.  The quality was great so for the last month or so I have been trying to recreate my project.

My originally referenced error message occurs whenever I try to open "organizer" so at this point it appears as though I can no longer get into organizer even though I can still open and create a project.

When I ran into space issues, I purchased the external driver initally for my son's stuff (games, Minecraft, Steam and whatever else), then I started moving other files in an effort to create space on C:\ and D:\   I may have moved stuff around trying to create space only to confuse everything.  Confusing to know what files to delete to get rid of some of my aborted projects.  Pushing 50 GB of Pre9 files at this point in three places basically all for one project.  Some cleanup needed here.

Thank you for your interest in my situation.

• 3. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error

You have not got nearly enough space on your C drive for this program to function!

In order to run, the program needs at least 20-30 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your C drive.

I'm also not quite clear on what you're using for source files. Are you using video directly from that CoolPix cam? MJPEG video from those types of still cameras will not work will in Premiere Elements. You'd be wise to use MovieMaker to convert it to DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

But your biggest issue is that C drive. It's a pretty small drive to begin with -- but filling all but 6 gigs of space pretty much renders it useless with more intensive programs, like Premiere Elements.

(You also should make sure your external drive is formatted NTFS and not FAT32, as they come from the factory.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For some additional info on your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, please see this ARTICLE.

HDD real estate is very cheap, and is so very, very necessary. Filling HDD's to near capacity will degrade performance, lead to premature failure, and will keep programs from operating, due to a lack of space. Video-editing requires a lot more free, defragmented HDD space, than most ever realize.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error
                  Userwithaprob Level 1

Thanks for the assistance.  I really appreciate your interest.  I now have 25GB free on C:\ and I have defragmented the drive.  I had already converted all my source videos to AV-DVI a few days ago.  My external drive is formatted to NTFS.  Still quite slow and unstable though.  A seemingly small thing like adding or editing a title causes Pre9 to shut down or my computer to shut down and restart.  Scene line not displaying all images and the main viewer displays my desktop or whatever was underneath before.

• 6. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That 25GB falls within the absolute minimum recs., but is quite low by my expereinces. I feel that 40 - 60GB is the real-world minimum, and much depends on the actual Project.

As for the use of the external HDD, please see this ARTICLE for some tips and observations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error
                      Userwithaprob Level 1

Still having issues.  I've opened up 40GB of free space on my 80GB C: drive and de-fragmented the drive.  I replaced my second 40GB internal drive with a 1TB drive.  This is where I now have my project files.    I noticed that my still images were 4000 x 3000 so I resized them all to 1024 x 768.  All my video clips have been converted to a "Digital Video" codec from "IBM Motion JPEG" codec.   I also re-installed Pre9,   My project comprises about 50% 5 second stills (.jpg) and 50% video clips complete say about 200 still and video files in total.   I also have music comprised of seven .wma files and one m4a file.   The whole thing is remarkably unstable - the least amount of tinkering with a title or sliding along an audio clip can cause the program to call for me to save my project and proceed with caution or even send my computer to a blue re-start screen.   With the above mentioned changes I was able to get to the DVD burn phase (before these changes it would freeze before actually creating the DVD). I am now getting a DVD, however, what should be a 45 minute project only has 15:40 minutes of sound and 16:20 minutes of video.  Any other ideas as to what could be going on?   Should I be clearing out organizer after I have assigned a file to my project?   I wonder if all the saved crashed versions of my project are creating problems?

Patient and buried with snow in Newfoundland.  Thanks for your interest in my situation.

• 8. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error
                        nealeh Level 5

Your graphics and audio drivers are ancient. Update them, from the manufacturers site with the latest version. Also ensure that you have installed all Windows Updates and the latest version of QuickTime player (v7.6.9 at time of writing).

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: ActiveMovie Window Application Error

Lack of hard drive space, oversized photos, MJPEG video -- there are so many things going on at once that it's hard to know what to chase!

I recommend that you do some controlled experimenting until you get things straightened out.

Now that you've got space on your C drive, open a new DV project. Add ten or so 1000x750 pixels photos just to see how it goes.

If that works, use Windows MovieMaker or MPEG Streamclip to convert your MJPEG files to DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Don't use any other programs to do this conversion! At least not for this experiment. Ideally, when you put these AVIs on your timeline, there will be no red lines above them. Is this the case?