5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 9:03 AM by pixelmech

Skipping problem when moving from Scene to Scene

pixelmech Level 1

Hello,

I'm creating a demo presentation that uses imported MP3 audio and static images basically panning around - simple stuff. I have it broken down into scenes to be more manageable. So at the end of a scene, I'll have this line:

gotoAndPlay(1, "Scene 2");

Which works just fine.

The problem is during the playback of the SWF, I get odd skips, generally at the beginning of a scene. Is this expected when using multiple scenes? Is it possibly something to do with the audio playback? I'm trying to make sure the MP3s do not start at exactly the beginning of the scene, but I'm still getting the problem.

Also, are there any tips on including MP3 audio to make things smoother? I'm running at 18 FPS.

• 1. Re: Skipping problem when moving from Scene to Scene
          BlackOpsRanger Level 1

I don't know if this will bring the answers you are looking for, but I may be able to help shed some light on a few things for you.

1. I believe the most common practice is to add your scene before the frame, such as gotoAndPlay("Scene2",1);  I may be wrong about that, but I think that may be one issue.

2. If you want a smoother overall playback, you can always go with a higher FPS. I generally use 30 to 40. I use Flash CS4 which uses 30 FPS by default.

3. Getting your MP3's to sound better can be achieved by making sure your Audio settings are correct in the  "Publish Settings" area. When I use sound in Flash, I generally set my MP3's to 48kbps. This helps get rid of that high treble, scratchy sound.

I'm not familiar with Flash having any skipping problems when jumping from scene to scene. I generally try to keep everything within the same scene when possible, but sometimes it makes more sense not to.

I hope this helps. Take care.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Skipping problem when moving from Scene to Scene
            pixelmech Level 1

On #1, you are actually wrong, that throws an error

I changed the MP3 to 48kbps, and that seems to help a bit. Of course changing the frame rate means I have to adjust everything in my scenes. How much does frame rate affect file size? I'm going to have to end up exporting this as a .mov and I was trying to keep it as small as possible.

• 3. Re: Skipping problem when moving from Scene to Scene
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The order of frame/scene in a gotoAnd.... command depends on which version of actionscript is being used.  AS3 is the reverse of AS2, and since there was nothing indicating which version is being used, it doesn't hurt to mention that it could be a problem.

A common recommendation is that scenes should be avoided when actionscript naviigation is involved.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Skipping problem when moving from Scene to Scene
                pixelmech Level 1

Yeah, I wasn't trying to cast blame around or anything, just was informing that I had the order right, using AS3 - which I should have mentioned. Regarding my question on the frame rates does that affect file size?