9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 1:56 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Strange Rendering Problem

LeoLeonardo3rd

I very recently got Adobe After Effects and was testing it out by adding a muzzle flash and blow back to a fake gun. After adding the effects and rendering the video in HD I realized that some effects were missing, so I went back and tried rendering it again and again. Every time a would render it at least one effect would be left out if not more and it was a different effect lost almost every time. If some one can help me with this problem I would appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please provide more info about your project settings (resolution, output codec etc) and your source footage (Where is it sourced from? What codec/resolution?) etc.  What effects/plugins are you using in your project?

Post a pic of your timeline, or if possible, post a copy of your project online somewhere so users here can take a look.

• 2. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
            LeoLeonardo3rd Level 1

i dont know about codec or that stuff but its source file is AVCHD. could the other stuff be figured out via this picture? project pic.png

• 3. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you are new to After Effects, I very strongly recommend that you begin here and methodically work your way through these getting-started materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

Regarding your specific question: As Andrew suggested, we need a lot more information if we're going to help you.

What version of After Effects? Have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? What kind(s) of source footage? All AVCHD? From what camera? Has what you're trying to do ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. Are you rendering with OpenGL? Does the problem only happen with your final output, or does it happen with RAM preview? Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

• 4. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not all your layers are visible in your pic, most notably the base layer.  What effects are applied to the visible layers?

When you say "effects" aren't being rendered, do you mean plugin effects, or whole layers are missing?

How are you rendering - through the render queue?  What are your output settings?  Post a screen grab.

Without wanting to sound rude, if you're unable to answer questions like what resolution and codecs you're using, you need to take a few steps backward and learn some of the basics.  After Effects is a complex and deep application, and you'll learn much faster if you understand the basics.  Perhaps look at some of the material here before revisiting the job you're doing.

• 5. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
                  LeoLeonardo3rd Level 1

adobe after effects version 10.0.1.19, all recent updates downloaded, Operating System: FX Gateway with windows 7, all footage AVCHD, camera is a Panasonic HDC-TM700, no third party effects, computer hardware (dont know exactly how to answer) has a graphic capabilities rated at 7.4, how can i find out if I am rendering in OpenGL? Ram preview=great, Final Output=lose effects, how could I found out if I am using "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously Multiprocessing"? If you can help it would be very appreciated.

• 6. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
                    LeoLeonardo3rd Level 1

Would the Base Layer be the main video? The effects applied are muzzle flash.png and a layer were i move back the action bar on the fake gun. Whole layer will disapear but they only go missing if the layer is one frame long (it needs to be 1 frame long though) an example can be seen on youtube via this link

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeqLWcRTidg

the first three blow backs were lost in the rendering, and each was 1 frame long. I will now proceed to the link you so kindly provided so as to try and educate myself on this wonderful yet confusing software.

• 7. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                      > how can i find out if I am rendering in OpenGL?

See "Render with OpenGL".

> how could I found out if I am using "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously Multiprocessing"?

See "Render multiple frames simultaneoulsy".

(To answer both of your questions, I just typed the keywords into the search box at the upper-right of the After Effects application, like this.)

> The effects applied are muzzle flash.png and a layer were i move back the action bar on the fake gun.

Neither of these are effects. Both of the items that you're referring to are layers. I asked what effects you've applied to your layers. When you said that "effects were missing", I presumed that you knew what effects in After Effect were, and that you were referring to one or more effects applied to layers not being rendered. Now I'm not even certain that that is what you're referring to. For an overview of what effects are, see this page: "Effects overview and resources".

I'm glad that you said in your recent message that you were going to go and work your way through the getting-started materials. It's important that we at least be communicating in a common language if we're going to help you to troubleshoot problems.

• 8. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
                        LeoLeonardo3rd Level 1

I am sorry to be such a bother, but me and a friend are trying to get a video done for a contest that offers scholarship money. As I read through the help files I am getting utterly confused when it starts talking about what format i need to render the video in and so on. Usually when i get new programs i can figure out how to do all the processes such as adding blur or copying frames and so on, but always have trouble finding out what I am supposed to put the settings to or what i need to set the formats as. now it was suggested to me that I upload the project file to have someone who knows what they are doing have a look at why the Layers are being left out (not effects as i now know). If I where to do this where would i need to upload it? Or could you even give me a link to a website that has what the settings and such should be set to written out in layman's terms. If this is to much trouble I understand.

• 9. Re: Strange Rendering Problem
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Or could you even give me a link to a website that has what the settings and such should be set to written out in layman's terms.

The best way to determine the right output settings is to start by understanding the requirements for the eventual use of your movie. If you're going to upload the movie to a web video service (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.), then look at the encoding recommendations provided by those service. If you're going to be playing the movie from a specific device, find out what its format requirements are. If you have a client, ask them what the output requirements are. If you're submitting to a contest, ask them what the requirements are for the movies that they're accepting. And so on.

See this FAQ entry for a start:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/729526

One way to leap past a lot of these questions is to use output presets. For example, in Adobe Media Encoder, there are H.264 presets for YouTube, Vimeo, iPod, Apple TV, etc. These presets exist so that you don't have to think about specific export settings in a lot of cases.