11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2011 6:08 PM by bluedolphin0502

Project details and flexibility in PE9

bluedolphin0502

Hello again:

I have two questions that I'm hoping the experts out there can help me with.

1. My friend took a whole lot of valuable footage yesterday, but had the camcorder on it's side! Is there any way of rotating that footage?

2. I have tried and tried, but cannot find out how to permanently display the total duration of my project, as I'm completely used to that feature of PE3?

• 1. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you can rotate your video -- but it's really a mess to do it! You'll have to render your entire movie -- which is very time and resource consuming. It's not like rotating a still photo. It really pretty much means having to apply an effect and re-render the entire movie!

The simplest way to do it is to right-click on your clips on your timeline and select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left.

You can't permanently display your entire movie's timeline. But, as I say in my books, if you press the \ key (above the Enter key) the timeline will instantly snap to show your entire movie.

• 2. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
            bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Thanks, Steve. I might muck around with it, and see how time-consuming it is – otherwise, might just have to make it part of the ‘patter’ I give when I hand the camcorder to someone else!

Also, did u have any thoughts about how to get the length of the project to show?

Sent: Sunday, 6 February 2011 1:53 PM

To: rachel jewiss

Subject: Project details and flexibility in PE9

Yes, you can rotate your video -- but it's really a mess to do it! You'll have to render your entire movie -- which is very time and resource consuming. It's not like rotating a still photo. It really pretty much means having to apply an effect and re-render the entire movie!

The simplest way to do it is to right-click on your clips on your timeline and select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left

• 3. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

From my above post:

You can't permanently display your entire movie's timeline. But, as I say in my books, if you press the \ key (above the Enter key) the timeline will instantly snap to show your entire movie.

• 4. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Also, did u have any thoughts about how to get the length of the project to show?

I am not clear what you need here. As Steve points out, the full Duration will show when the entire Timeline is displaybed. To get the exact info, one can hover the cursor over the little square in the middle of the WAB, to see the info, on what it encompasses.

If you are asking about displaying the Runtime TimeCode in the Project, you can use DVDate to display that, or can do it with Adobe AfterEffects. PrPro also has a TimeCode display Effect, but I like the version in AE, as I have more control with fonts, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                  bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Hi.

Sorry, I don’t think I’ve explained myself very well (just for a change!). All I want to do, is just have the entire length (in hours, minutes, etc.) showing, just so that I can keep an eye on how long my project is. E.g. if it’s 1 hour, 30 minutes, I may be more ruthless in my editing/deleting of things. If, however, my time’s not getting too ridiculous, I may keep things in there that I wouldn’t if my project was getting too long. In PE3, the total length of your project shows just under the viewing window.

I hope this makes sense!

Sent: Monday, 7 February 2011 1:33 AM

From my above post:

You can't permanently display your entire movie's timeline. But, as I say in http://muvipix.com/pe9.php, if you press the \ key (above the Enter key) the timeline will instantly snap to show your entire movie.

• 6. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That makes perfect sense - thanks.

Unless PrE 9 changed things, the total Duration should also appear in the Program Monitor. If that has changed, Steve G. will correct me, and then, I'll just say "shame on Adobe," as that is very important.

If it has changed, the little trick with the WAB should give you that info, but it will require an extra click, or two, and that should not be necessary.

If PrE 9 has abandoned the Duration window, I will be the first to file a Feature Request, and would urge most others to do the same.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                      nealeh Level 5

The only option I can find in PRE7 and PRE9 is to double-click the 'box' on the WorkAreaBar (see picture). This expands the WAB to cover the whole timeline. You can then hover your mouse over the timeline and get an info box that shows the start/end/duration of the WAB. As your WAB covers the entire timeline for the project this is therefore the entire project duration. This works regardless of whether or not you have a clip selected at the time.

1.png

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Boo! Guess that Adobe did remove the Total Duration box from the Program Monitor. That was not a good move, IMHO.

Thanks for the clarification, however sad it is,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2

There is one more way to view the total duration. Under the "Windows" menu is the "Info" window. After opening that Info window, if you select all the clips with a CTRL-A, the info window will tell you the total duration. This won't disturb the cursor or WAB.

• 10. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good tip Robert. I like that better than moving the WAB about, if one does not need to.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Project details and flexibility in PE9
                              bluedolphin0502 Level 1

Thanks a lot, Robert.

Sent: Thursday, 10 February 2011 1:32 PM

There is one more way to view the total duration. Under the "Windows" menu is the "Info" window. After opening that Info window, if you select all the clips with a CTRL-A, the info window will tell you the total duration. This won't disturb the cursor or WAB.