3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 7:56 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

How Do I Do a Pedestal (Ped) Up Effect in Adobe After Effects

I<3Editing

I’m doing a project using all still photos and I want to transition from the ground to the sky using a blurry ped up movement to make it look like the camera is going up to the sky quickly.  Is there a way to do that with after effects?

Not sure of what the ‘pedestal’ movement is?  Check out the definition on this site:  http://www.mediacollege.com/video/shots/movement.html

• 1. Re: How Do I Do a Pedestal (Ped) Up Effect in Adobe After Effects
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is a very simple effect that could be achieved in a non-linear editor like Premiere Pro just as easily as in AE.

In AE, if your image is a 2D layer, animate it's position or anchor point.

If your image is a 3D layer, you could also choose to add and animate a Camera.

Turn on Motion Blur for the layer and AE will automatically add motion blur to the movement.

• 2. Re: How Do I Do a Pedestal (Ped) Up Effect in Adobe After Effects
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As a side note, the term Pedestal is fairly uncommon these days, as nobody actually uses pedestal cameras anymore.  Or VERY rarely, anyway.

These days it tends to be referred to as the Ken Burns effect (a term I hate!) or more generically as just "a move".

With the convergence of animation and video capabilities in software, "Pedestal" can also cause some confusion as it also refers to a colour correction function.

• 3. Re: How Do I Do a Pedestal (Ped) Up Effect in Adobe After Effects
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Tp put it another way...

"Ken Burns" more refers (inappropriately giving credit where none is deserved) to simulating rostrum camera moves, true.

The ancient term "pedestal" refers to the vertical movement of the column on which the camera is mounted. In a traditional studio, the pedestal holds the camera horizontally. On a rostrum, the pedestal holds the camera pointing down at the stage. The pedestal movement create entirely different results depending on the application.

For all camera movement analogies, the origin of the terms is at the camera head. Pan, tilt, and roll are circular movements around the axes of the camera head. Pedestal, arc, tongue, truck, and dolly are movements that carry the camera to a new position in space.

In After Effects, we simulated all of these moves by changing the position, rotation, and scale of layers. With the introduction of the AE camera and flat 3D layers, position changes of the camera create real world changes in the relationship between 3D layers, a visual effect sometimes referred to as parallax change.

it is unfortunate terminology cannot be standardized and restricted to certain aspects of production. Pedestal is more commonly known as "setup" these days which is just as pad since my whole project is a situation to which I refer as a setup. We set up our setup in the studio before we set our setup on our cameras.

bogiesan