2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 9:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Need help on limited hardware environment

fyddeye Level 1

Hello,

I'm new to Premiere and I've downloaded and installed Elements 9. My company wants to produce brief promotional videos for YouTube, and I have to work on a Lenovo laptop with a Pentium Dual CPU T3400 2.16GHZ, 3MB of RAM, and Vista Home Premium. I believe this meets the minimum specs, though I know that a laptop is not optimal.

As you can probably guess, I've got severe performance issues, but I'm stuck with the laptop because of company budget constraints. I had to pull teeth to get it, if you know what I mean.

I transferred video in AVCHD format to the laptop, and editing it is almost impossible because of the performance problems: skipping, jerky motion, etc.

I'm looking for some system settings or other advice that might help.

Also, would transcoding the video to standard def help? That would be fine for web video.  If so, does Adobe have an application that can transcode?

I can probably get an external hard drive, but I'm unsure about whether this will help. I'm pretty sure that the laptop has a USB 2.0 port, but is data transfer an issue? If so, any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance for your ideas.

Fyddeye

• 1. Re: Need help on limited hardware environment
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Convert AVCHD to HDV http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0
          or use Cineform Neo Scene http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

USB is too slow for video editing, and you need AT LEAST two 7200rpm hard drives

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
          - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
          - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
          You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
          Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
          You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
          A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
          One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 2. Re: Need help on limited hardware environment
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with John T's advice, this ARTICLE should give you some tips, for getting the most out of your laptop.

With AVCHD material, you have three choices:

• Live with the horrible performance
            • Upgrade to a fast Quad-core CPU, or better yet, a fast i7
            • Convert with NeoScene (also see this ARTICLE on Proxy Editing)

For using an external HDD for editing to/from, I would look to a minimum of FireWire 800, or better still, eSATA.

Good luck,

Hunt