3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 2:59 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Does AE Effects Multiprocessing Pref: "CPUs Reserved" exclude CS5 Suite?

Pharther Phurther Level 1

Do I need more than 1 CPU reserved for other applications in the CS5 Suite for optimal rendering and editing?

or

Does "Actual CPUs Used" include the other CS5 apps ... ?

Wouldn't this setting be Dynamic if you were using other apps in the suite?

or

Does this setting only apply to the background app: aerendercore.

?

Sorry if this question was answered other places. I did a search and found other similar answers ... but not mine.

• 1. Re: Does AE Effects Multiprocessing Pref: "CPUs Reserved" exclude CS5 Suite?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this FAQ entry and read/watch the items that it points to:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

> Does "Actual CPUs Used" include the other CS5 apps ... ?

That just refers to After Effects in the context of the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneoulsy multiprocessing preference.

• 2. Re: Does AE Effects Multiprocessing Pref: "CPUs Reserved" exclude CS5 Suite?
            Pharther Phurther Level 1

Will Do ...

.. Thanks for responding to my posts.

Sorry to be the latest pain in the a.. here.

This is my first experience with the suite . but I have used Photoshop for years.

I began in iMovie, maxed it out, then after a quick mess was disappointed with FCP ... and a good friend who works for Rolling Stone Magazine pointing me to AE and PP.

I would like to start off on good terms with you  .. and I'm sorry if my posts show the frustration I have been going through.

This is my 4th week with problems. I wanted to make sure my hardware / machine wasn't the culprit of bottleneck and poor performance isuues.

I try to Google and search the Forums ... but it takes lots of time and I get burnt out after struggling for hours

I wish some of my problems could be confirmed as a software problem.

Other issues seems to be workflow.

I have vintage films. They cannot be reproduced.

To stabilize the footage, clean up various frames ( automatic or by hand ) .. , crop, rotate, resize, color correct and make it flow is my basic needs.

Some of these processes I believed to be easily done by the latest advancements in processors, graphic cards, and software.

Apparently not ...

I can see great possibilities with CS5 ... so please check out my bug reports / rants .. there may be something of value ..

• 3. Re: Does AE Effects Multiprocessing Pref: "CPUs Reserved" exclude CS5 Suite?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I try to Google and search the Forums ... but it takes lots of time and I get burnt out after struggling for hours

This might help:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/05/how-to-search-for-after-effect.html

Even if you have experience with other creative software, I very strongly encourage you to work your way through all of the material pointed to from this page:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

Starting from the beginning and only building in complexity as you understand each aspect of the program will enable you to learn better, develop a common language with others (such as us) so that you can ask questions effectively, and also give you a better sense of what problems are because of your hardware (or other software). When you jump into the middle and ask questions about issues encoutered with complex projects, it is very hard for us to isolate your issue. However, if you encounter a problem when trying something simple, then we can much more quickly discard a lot of potential causes and therefore get to the underlying issue.