2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 2:38 PM by the_wine_snob

Element 9 stops working

SteveBergeron

Hi everyone!  I just bought a brand new sony vaio computer yesterday.  I just installed premier elements 9 and also downloaded the latest version of quicktime.

Everytime I start editing a project I'll make a few edits and then I get a message saying the program has stopped working.  This has happened about 20 times.  I have cut and pasted the error message below.  Does anyone know what this means?  Thanks

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Application Version: 9.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4c86effb

Fault Module Name: xerces-c_3_0.dll

Fault Module Version: 3.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4936a5bb

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00008277

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

• 1. Re: Element 9 stops working
          nealeh Level 5

The drivers on a brand new computer will be months out of date (because manufacturers build their 'master disk' months before launch). Sony also have a reputation for significantly altering standard drivers.

Working through these basics sorts many problems out:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers (usually ATI or Nvidia) web sites (but also look at the Sony support as well).
          • Install PRE9 v9.0.1 update.
          • Delete BadDrivers.txt (in Windows 7 this is likely at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt)
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Reboot your PC.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

If you still have problems please post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Element 9 stops working
            the_wine_snob Level 9

That faulting xerces-c_3_0.dll module makes me wonder a bit. See this ARTICLE for some background.

Is that part of your PrE installation? I'd do a search of the system, to see where it is installed. Also, I would look in Event Viewer, to see what else is going on at that time.

Here is another ARTICLE, and points to a common culprit for this error to be anti-virus progarms. What anti-virus programs are you running? What happens if you turn them OFF, prior to an editing session?

Good luck,

Hunt