5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 2:43 PM by jerryasi@comcast.net

Jerry

jerryasi@comcast.net

Having edited a number of videos on my Premiere Elements 9 I’ve messed up a “stetting” somewhere. I’m working on a HP a6767c with a Pentium (R) dual core E5300 @ 2.66 HZ w/600GB NTFS hard drive with 404 GB free it uses the standard Intel GMA 3100 video card. My challenge is the editing screen on in PE9 only shows a portion of the stills or video clips I place in my timeline (shows scroll bars side and bottom) I can go to the “edit effect” and scale the image down to about 36% and id fits fine, but when I go to preview it’s at 36% (small). The still image is 1337 X 975 pixels a jpeg at 135KB. I must be making a stupid mistake but just haven’t been able to find it.

• 1. Re: Jerry
          nealeh Level 5

Please would you post a screen image showing the problem.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Jerry
            jerryasi@comcast.net Level 1

I'm uncertain about how to post a screen image?

• 3. Re: Jerry
              • 4. Re: Jerry
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on posting screen-caps.

Just a guess, but I would say that it sounds like a video driver issue. Even simple OS updates and hot-fixes can render a video driver obsolete. An NLE (Non Linear Editor), like PrE needs to interface much more closely with the video driver, than almost any other computer program, so that is why it is very important. Unfortunately, the embedded Intel graphics chips are horrible for their lack of driver support. I would try to find a moe recent driver from the Intel site. With an HP, you might get a bit lucky, on their site. HP, Dell and Gateway do a better job of updating the Intel drivers, but not always.

With a desktop, the better course would be to bypass (either with DIP switches, jumpers or maybe BIOS settings) the embedded Intel chip and add an nVidia, or ATI/AMD card. Driver support will be so very much better. Intel graphics chips are OK for wordprocessing, spreadsheets, and Web browsing, but not for video editing. With a laptop, one has no other choice. Even for just still image processing, such as with Photoshop, I recommend against the Intel chips, and that is because of the lack of driver support.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Jerry

As you may note I'm not a computer savvy guy, I became concerned about my hardware capabilities when it took 6 hours to render my first 20 minute video to DVD. The hour long video never did successfully render, when you play the DVD it stalls (acts like streaming video off the internet with a slow connection) so I've asked computer friends about processor speed, ram and all that. The video card has come up. I looked at a EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support. It's only $50 and will fit on my HP Pavillion a6767c mother board. May be the solution? Thanks for any advice you can offer. Jerry