2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 6:50 PM by symmetricalMan

Image management: Project Manager vs Resource Manager?

symmetricalMan Level 1

I understand how both the Project Manager and Resource Manager work, but I'm a little frustrated with both, and am hoping for some feedback/suggestions.

• If I drag an image from the Resource Manager into my topic, it gets added to the Project Manager. I understand it does this, but I'm at a loss as to how this is advantageous - why not just leave the image files in my central image repository on my server instead of RH dropping a copy of the image in the root folder of the project? Why not continue using images from the Resource Manager instead of now having to use them from the Project Manager.
      • The Project Manager doesn't appear to offer a way to preview selected images, so even though I've now got a copy of the images in there, I can't tell one from another without relying on the file name (pretty useless in some cases). This has me going back to the Resource Manager because it's nicer to use. However, if I use an image from the Resource Manager that already exists in my project, RH prompts me to query whether I want to replace the original. I understand why it does this, but it's annoying. Is there any way to turn this off?
      • If I am in fact forced to use the Project Manager for my images, is there a way to open two instances of the Project Manager pod, or open the Images sub-folder in a window of its own? I get frustrated having to navigate up and down the list of items in the Project Manager, back and forth between my list of topics I'm working on and the list of images within them. I'd like to have two separate pods open; one for my list of topics and one for my images.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Image management: Project Manager vs Resource Manager?
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there

symmetricalMan wrote:

I understand how both the Project Manager and Resource Manager work, but I'm a little frustrated with both, and am hoping for some feedback/suggestions.

• If I drag an image from the Resource Manager into my topic, it gets added to the Project Manager. I understand it does this, but I'm at a loss as to how this is advantageous - why not just leave the image files in my central image repository on my server instead of RH dropping a copy of the image in the root folder of the project? Why not continue using images from the Resource Manager instead of now having to use them from the Project Manager.

What version of RoboHelp are you using? I ask because I totally ignored the Resource Manager in version 8. I concluded that it looked promising, but Adobe had seriously missed the mark with it and it just wasn't useful. But that was version 8.

If you have Version 9, they made some significant improvements to the Resource Manager. Depending on exactly how you insert the image, it is either copied or linked. And if you choose linked, it operates in a similar manner to using the image directly from the Resource Manager. I've documented it and made a guide available if you want the nitty gritty on it.

I suppose I could make the following comparison between the Project Manager and Resource Manager. I might consider the Resource Manager to be similar to the grocery store where I go acquire ingredients. And the Project Manager is similar to my Refrigerator and Pantry. If I need an ingredient, I'd much rather fetch it from my local pantry if I can. I really don't wish to make a trip to the grocery store if all I want is a pinch of salt.

• The Project Manager doesn't appear to offer a way to preview selected images, so even though I've now got a copy of the images in there, I can't tell one from another without relying on the file name (pretty useless in some cases). This has me going back to the Resource Manager because it's nicer to use. However, if I use an image from the Resource Manager that already exists in my project, RH prompts me to query whether I want to replace the original. I understand why it does this, but it's annoying. Is there any way to turn this off?

You are correct in that the Project Manager doesn't lend itself to  easily presenting the images. You do have the option of right-clicking  and previewing them, but that's probably less than optimal. As for the options and suppressing the message, I think I'll wait to see what version of RoboHelp you are using.

• If I am in fact forced to use the Project Manager for my images, is there a way to open two instances of the Project Manager pod, or open the Images sub-folder in a window of its own? I get frustrated having to navigate up and down the list of items in the Project Manager, back and forth between my list of topics I'm working on and the list of images within them. I'd like to have two separate pods open; one for my list of topics and one for my images.

To my knowledge there is no way to coax two instances of the Project Manager open. What you might consider is right-clicking the Project Manager and choosing Explore. This should open Windows Explorer at your project location. You could then exploit Windows' capability of showing thumbnail images in the window. Maybe that will help?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 2. Re: Image management: Project Manager vs Resource Manager?
            symmetricalMan Level 1

Thanks Rick.

You've pretty-much confirmed what I suspected.

I have RH8. Looks like it might be time to upgrade. Can you provide a link to your guide please?

...now to convince Management to pay for the upgrade.