16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 5:20 PM by Thad1234

.wav file not recognized in Premiere 8

Thad1234

I am trying to edit a video for which I am using a .wav audio file for the audio.  I have done this before with no problem.  Now Premiere tells me it does not recognize the .wav media file, and may be missing a codec. 

When I go back to other projects I have done this way before, I find that I can't open the audio portion of ANY of them.  On the project, the audio line shows, but is flat-lined.

Have I lost something.  FYI, I am combining audio from concerts (recorded on Pro-tools and bounced to a .wav file) with video of the same concerts recorded on two video cameras.  Then, I combine and synchronize to create a finished video with good sound and picture.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thad Reynolds

• 1. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
          nealeh Level 5
          • Have you added anything new to your system (e.g new software, windows update)?
          • Play the .WAV file in Windows Media Player. This may trigger an appropriate codec download from Microsoft.
          • Use System Restore to roll back to a time went the WAV files did play.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thad,

Welcome to the forum.

With PCM/WAV, the Audio is not compressed, so this should not be a CODEC issue. One thing to note is that there is also LPCM/WAV, and for some reason, a few of the Adobe products have issues with the LPCM, where the PCM version causes no issues.

I'd just run one of the WAV files through G-Spot (PC-only), or MediaInfo (PC, or Mac), and see what it says about the files.

I also assume that you are on the Mac, considering that you mention ProTools. Is that correct?

Were the older Projects, also with WAV files, created on the Mac, or perhaps another computer?

In very general terms, PrE should work perfectly with PCM/WAV files at 48KHz 16-bit. These are uncompressed files, and are the native format for Audio in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
              Thad1234 Level 1

No, I'm on a PC.  I checked these files, although not through the site you suggested, and I think they are PCM.  I was aware of that from browsing on this problem.  Everyone suggested that I run it through the Windows utility, but that didn't do anything. 

Thanks for the note.  I'll see what I can find.

Thad

• 4. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thad,

OK, that takes some things out of play then.

Per Neale's suggestion, do these WAV files play on Windows Media Player fine?

Have you perhaps upgraded your OS, between when the WAV files worked, and now?

In Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types (or similar syntax, depending on the exact version of Windows that you have), what is the association for WAV files?

In Windows Expolorer/My Computer, do these files show the expected icon, or that little file icon, with no association?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                  Thad1234 Level 1

Bill,

I forgot to mention that the format is PCM, sample rate is 48, sample size 16.  I think this is what Premier prefers???

Many thanks for your help on this!

Thad

• 7. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thad,

When things work, as they should, that "is as good as it gets," and should NOT cause any problems. I am at a loss as to what has happened at the system level, to cause these issues. Normally, a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit is totally fail-safe.

Wish I had more thoughts to share, but I have never encountered this sort of behavior. I hope that others can be more helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - did your system play any of these WAV files in WMP, or the designated program for the WAV files?

• 8. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                      Thad1234 Level 1

Let me ask you one unrelated question, if I may.

I have been working with video clips (setting the audio problem aside for awhile).  I have been working with pan and zoom.  What I am finding now is that the images of my clips are now different sizes, and some are tucked into one corner of the screen or other.  I created a test film to see if this carries over, and although it is less noticeable than in the monitor view, it is still an issue.  After pan and zoom, how to I get back to unpanned and unzoomed?  I have tried setting the anchor by the numbers, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.  When I click on the monitor, I get a frame with adjustment handles.

Thanks again for your help!

Thad

• 9. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thad,

How are you doing the Pans, and Zooms?

Usually, these are done with the fixed Effects>Motion>Position, and Motion>Scale. If done that way, then the "reset"would be in the Effects Control Panel, i.e. the Effects Tab, with the Clip Selected, and Edit Effects. One would twirl open the Motion Effects, and then reset the Keyframing of the Effects. The "stopwatch" icon will toggle these Effects OFF/ON.

Now, if you do not seem to have the control, that you need, let us know how you did the Pans & Zooms, and someone will be able to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                          Thad1234 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

I'll play with it (tomorrow when I can see straight).

Thad

• 11. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                            Thad1234 Level 1

Hunt,

I am running two video clips on Video 1 and Video 2.  I have tried using animated pan & zoom on Video 1, to give more interest to what is basically a static shot of a performer.  I have the "missing manual" (O'Reilly publishing), and am following the instructions on p. 259, if that tells you anything.

What's happening is that my images are shifting in size and position in the monitor window of Premiere.  They all show the same position of 360/240, which should be centered.  Why is the position and size of the image changing from one clip to the next?  Does this make any difference?

Thanks!

Thad

• 12. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thad,

It sounds like you have both Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position Keyframed. Sometimes, it's a bit too easy to add a Keyframe to the wrong Effect. I do that too often with the Volume>Bypass (in PrPro), when I want to Keyframe the Effect below, Volume>Levels.

Can you do a screen-cap of your Effects Control Panel with one of the problem Clips Selected?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                                Thad1234 Level 1

Here it is.  If you need something else, let me know.

Thanks!

• 14. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thad,

The screen-cap did not attach. Take a look at this ARTICLE for some tips.

Hunt

• 15. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                                    Thad1234 Level 1

Try again!  I'll look at the tips meanwhile.

• 16. Re: .wav file not recognized in Premiere 8
                                      Thad1234 Level 1

Bill,

Did you ever get the screen grab I sent you on this?  The reason you didn't get it before wasn't that I didn't know how to do it, it was that (as I often do in my old-age) I forgot to attach it to the message.  If you didn't get it, let me know and I will resend.  I would LOVE to finish this film over the weekend!

Thanks!

Thad