11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 8:41 AM by TimeRemapper

Help! After Effects wont work anymore....

TaraLee09

Hi

Im hoping you will be able to help me

I am currently trialing After effects CS4. I also have PS CS5 and Illustrator CS4.

I cant use CS5 as I have only a 32bit OS (Windows 7). My Graphics Card is ATI Radeon Series HD 4600.

All of a sudden my AE and Illustrator wont work PS is fine. I have tried absolutely everything I can find to do online.

My AE crashes on startup at about 3% with not much of an error message. These are the error messages I get....

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/3142/20110207-qnm3-16kb.jpg

Then this -

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/3142/20110207-zbjd-19kb.jpg

Here is the crash report -

http://bit.ly/fBtzSC

One of the things I did was make a new Admin account and reinstall. It didnt work but I ended up getting a message saying

sniffer_gpu.exe has stopped working.

Another bit of info that might help is that, with Illustrator, it is still running in my task manager. I am adding this as they both

crashed at the same time so Im figuring its related? I could be wrong tho

Thats just one of the things though....I swear I have tried everything. 2 weeks of searching the net for answers I even tried

to install AE CS3 with no luck

If I have left out anything, please let me know and I will be happy to provide details.

• 2. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
          TaraLee09 Level 1

lol yeah, I found the same thing a while ago....when I first found the error message

Nothing helpful in there though Thanks for the suggestion

I tell ya something else I found when searching that error message. I found a thread with

someone with what seemed to be the exact same problem. Everything he was going through

seemed to be the same. This person made a thread in the forums while waiting 2 days for

support to get back to him.

His last post was "never mind, finally heard from adobe... got it sorted" or something to that

effect ....how selfish! I couldnt believe it. I really thought I was on the right track there.

People dont stop to think that others read old threads to get answers. You know, it would save adobe and others alot of time if people didnt do this

lol when I find the fix...Im posting it EVERYWHERE!!!....when IF

• 3. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
            TimeRemapper Level 4

Have you installed any new codecs or software recently?

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
              TaraLee09 Level 1

Any new software?....wow thats asking alot

New codecs hmmm funnily enough I did install the K-Lite mega codec pack

...probably just before it went funny and also the Lagarith Lossless (which I

think I had to uninstall for the K-Lite). I will uninstall them and get back to you

on that.

Another couple of things I just remembered which may help.....

- Illustrator was the first to go and I distinctly remember installing a new lot of

fonts. It seemed to crash when I went to access the type tool. Just crashed and

never came back. It was after that I noticed AE gone too

Instead of uninstalling all my fonts (I thought it may be a corrupt font), I got font

doctor and deleted all the dodgy ones.

- Today I tried the Adobe Creative Suite Product Install Inspector thingy. It doesnt

give any indication that there is a problem with AE. It just says there is an error

with Color Profiles and tells me to refer to this page

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403891.html

I did everything on it and still no joy

• 5. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
                TimeRemapper Level 4

Definitely uninstall the k-lite pack. Those are not pro-grade codecs, and have been known to cause havoc, be they conflicts or otherwise.

The font issue may cause a separate beast. I would suggest leaving permanently installed only the fonts that are necessitated by the OS, and then use a font management utility to activate fonts on a per-project basis.

• 6. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
                  TaraLee09 Level 1

I need a crying smiley lol

I just uninstalled it and rebooted and no luck....I saw the version and got my hopes up...it

was 6.6.6 I thought that might have been a sign....that it was the culprit

All jokes asside, this is so frustrating

Here is the link to the Crash report to Illustrator too incase this helps -

http://bit.ly/gqX5RP

I only installed the codecs for PI3....cant seem to get good render quality

I will do as you suggested with the fonts aswell....in the morning I think its a great idea

as its taking so long to load them all when I use the text tool.

• 7. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
                    TimeRemapper Level 4
                    I just uninstalled it and rebooted and no luck....I saw the version and got my hopes up...it

was 6.6.6 I thought that might have been a sign....that it was the culprit

Follow these instructions.

I only installed the codecs for PI3

Not sure what you mean. What's PI3?

• 8. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

TimeRemapper is right about K-Lite. The K-Lite codec pack severely impairs the  functioning of many video applications, including Premiere Pro, After  Effects, and Adobe Media Encoder.

Note the warning on the K-Lite download here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/codec-packs

"Warning! If you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer."

Heed that warning.

Seeing that one of your error messages referred to the GPU sniffer makes me think that there may be an issue with your video card.

See this page:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405948.html

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
                        TaraLee09 Level 1

@TimeRemapper PI3 = Particle Illusion 3 sorry

This might be another thing? Dunno I have PI as a stand alone and then a week or so

after, I installed the plugin into AE. I used it in AE once successfully, but after that nothing.

I dont know if this could be it. Just trying to give as much info as possible

I will have a look at that link now, Thanks

edit- Just looked. I did that a while ago....I run every cleaner script I can find I think. Are you

meaning now that I have uninstalled K-Lite I shoud do it again? 

@Todd I came accross that article a few times but unfortunately I found that everything it tells

you to try in there requires that you have AE running. I already tried all the things in there that

I can do without it running ie moving the OpenGL plugin to another folder.

I d/l a program when I was trying to fix this problem originally that tests your OpenGL.

OpenGL Extensions Viewer?  Can this help determine the problem? If so how do I do it?

I tried to test my it in Cinebench but it said I couldnt run the OpenGL test because my

graphics card doesnt support this function

http://http://www.maxon.net/downloads/cinebench/cinebench-115.html

Just trying to get rid of these damn fonts now....I didnt realise I had over 4000 installed

Is there a way I can revert the fonts back to the original windows fonts without doing a

reformat?....not the settings....the fonts

• 10. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
                          TaraLee09 Level 1

OMG!!! I cant believe it

Throught the day I have been removing some fonts. I thought I would just try and see if

AE works.....and it did!!! So did Illustrator!

I am so happy!

It was either the removal of the K-Lite, which I dont think as it didnt work after I uninstalled

it straight away, or the fonts. Which one, I dont know. If you think it will help someone else,

I am happy to put them back and find the culprit? Plese let me know. In the meantime, here

is some screenshots of all the fonts names I uninstalled (11 pics in presentation)......

http://bit.ly/h7lkYa

Thank you so much guys

• 11. Re: Help! After Effects wont work anymore....
                            TimeRemapper Level 4

Glad you got it sorted. I'd suggest not reinstalling the k-lite pack. Also, if you do a little digging online, you can probably find a way to restore your windows 7 default fonts. Good luck!