7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 10:03 AM by C6Pilot

Rendering times

C6Pilot

I have some VHS footage that I used NEATVIDEO noise reduction filter on to clean up the original footage. The footage is a little over an hour and twenty minutes long and took about eight and half hours to render the timeline. On export it took the same amount of time to render the export to DVD compliant mpeg2 even though I selected use previews in the export dialog.

My question is does Premier have to render the export again with the noise filter. This appears to be the case unless I am missing something. It would seem that since it was rendered on the timeline it should not have to be rendered again. Is this thinking wrong?

• 1. Re: Rendering times
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Going to MPEG-2, the Render files will not be used. With DV-AVI, they would have been, in versions prior to CS5. I believe that you can choose to use them for Export. In CS5, with full CUDA support, the MPEG-2 Export should go more quickly, than for me, even to DV-AVI. Do you have full CUDA hardware support?

Neat Video, as good an Effect, as I find it, does require more time to process. For an approximately 1 hour Timeline, it takes me about 2 hours to Export, but then I am also not compressing to MPEG-2, but Exporting DV-AVI for Import into Encore. The power of the computer will determine the time to Compress and Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Rendering times
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            My question is does Premier have to render the export again with the noise filter. This appears to be the case unless I am missing something. It would seem that since it was rendered on the timeline it should not have to be rendered again. Is this thinking wrong?

Yes. First of all, never use preview files on export, because it can often leads to severe quality losses. Second, on export, the time-line needs to be encoded. For scaling, blending and some effects hardware MPE can be used, but the encoding is done by the CPU, as well as all non-CUDA supported effects, amongst them Neat.

In essence, yeah, you need to re-render again and it is irrelevant whether the time-line was rendered before or not.

There are several reasons for this behaviour. The preview format may differ from the export format, the bitrate can differ, with multi-format clips in the same time-line it is unclear what should be used on final export, etc. Thus, never export using preview files.

• 3. Re: Rendering times
              C6Pilot Level 1

The footage was MPEG2 format to begin with and the timeline was rendered with NOISE reduction. NO I don't have a CUDA card as the FX4500 does not support htis. I am going to upgrade to a FX4800 so maybe this will help.

Machine specs:

DEll T5400

2x Dual core Xeon 3.33

16gb Memory

3x 7200 SATA drives

• 4. Re: Rendering times
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Why get an old last generation GPU, that is no longer sold? Why not get a more modern video card, or are your Xeon's as old as well? What model/type are they?

• 5. Re: Rendering times
                  C6Pilot Level 1

The Nvidia Quadro FX4800 is still being sold all be it a year or so old. I may go with the Quadro 4000 as it is newer technology. The Xeons are 1333mhz FSB 45nm processors and I have already purchased two Quad Core Xeons so I should have enough compute power. Most of the render times for both HD and SD footage are near or better than real time the only issue was with the render times for NOISE reduction. Other effects don't seem to impact the rendering times as greatly.

Thanks for your input.

• 6. Re: Rendering times
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I feel your pain, regarding the Quadro FX-4500. I've got one too, and it's a great card - just not CUDA capable, so not the right choice for CS5.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Rendering times
                      C6Pilot Level 1

Bill,

Yes it is a great card for what I normally do which is 3D Design. So I guess I am going to move up to newer and better. Geez I just moved up from Premier 6.5 to CS5 and I thought that was a technology shock. Old guys like me move a bit slower these days so I guess I had better get with the times..