• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Images displaying a horizontal line

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 10 - Photoshop files (PSD) that I import (File -> Import -> File -> Copy into document) into my master pages are all displaying a horizontal line on the right side of the image. The line is not in the original image. Does anyone know what is causing this anomoly?  Thanks Chris.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have reported this - the answer was to flatten the layers first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestion. I opened the Photoshop file (PSD) and selected Layer -> Flatten Image, then saved the file. I then deleted the previous image from my Framemaker 10 document and re-imported the image (File ->Import.>File-> copy into document). The horizontal line is still there. The only other solution that I've found at this fime is to output the file to PNG.One of the selling points of the Framemaker 10 product was the ability to link native Photoshop files to the document.Does anyone know if this is a bug in the software? Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestions:

1.If the final output/deliverable is PDF AND the PDF is fine, then do not worry about it.

2. Delete the image from the FrameMaker file, then import but import by reference, not copy.

3. Save the PSD file in Photoshop eps, and import the eps file by reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Van,

Thanks for the suggestions:

Item 1 - Yes the final out/deliverable is PDF and the PDF is fine with PNG files.

Item 2 - I normally import by reference all image files in the body of the document. These images are actually a part of the document template that the final product will be developed using the template. Since the template is stored in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 3\Adobe FrameMaker 10\Templates folder, I wasn't sure what the best practice is for images used in templates. That is why I copied the images into the document. I had the same problem when I referenced PSD files in the body of the document.

Item 3 - I tried this with my document and it worked fine. Is the best practice then to always save as EPS when you want to link Photoshop files to a Framemaker 10 file? It would be nice to be able to link native PSD file to Framemaker and have them print correctly.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Item 1 - Yes the final out/deliverable is PDF and the PDF is fine with PNG files.

Maybe you are implying it, but you did not state specifically whether the PDF was good or bad with PSD files. My point was that if the PDF is OK when using PSD files directly, then all is OK.

Regarding using images in templates...it is OK and just fine to import images by reference to a template, even on reference pages. In fact, the template I use does this very thing. The ancillary problem is you have to be careful when moving the files created from the template. If you move them outside FrameMaker, then you may have to relink (NOT reimport) the images when you open the document after moving, which is the same if you move a FrameMaker file with linked images outside FrameMaker. I try always to open the document in FrameMaker and then save it to the new location, when I want to move a file; this causes all the links to be updated for the new location.

I have not played much with FrameMaker 10, but I have always used eps files for all graphics in the past. With eps files, FrameMaker just passes the file through to the printer when you create a PDF, ignoring what is inside it.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I have a trial version of FrameMaker 10, so I tried importing a PSD file into a blank document. The PSD had layers, as well as an adjustment layer. The import worked fine. It even appears to display all the pixels from the image. I created a PDF from it by printing to Adobe PDF printer, and the PDF was fine. So, it seems to work for me.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Van,

The PDF was bad using the PSD files.

Based on your comments, I did a little more testing. The solution appears to be linked to the number of layers in the Photoshop file. I opened a jpeg of our company logo in Photoshop. Double-clicked on the background and converted it to a layer. I then selected the white background, deleted it (background is now transparent pixels) and saved the file as a PSD. I repeated the same process with the same image, but this time I put the logo on a separate layer (this image has a layer 0 with nothing on it and a layer 1 with the logo image). Saved the file as PSD. I imported, by reference, both files and printed the Framemaker page and also Printed to PDF. The image with the single layer displayed the horizontal line and the image with the two layers did not.

Also, thanks for the information pertaining to importing by reference into a Framemaker template.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I did two more tests. I flattened the multi-layer PSD image I used yesterday and imported it by reference. The PDF showed NO horizontal line. All was good.

To mimic your test, I opened a raw jpg taken by a digital camera and saved it as a PSD. Then I opened the PSD, created several layers, even a transparent one, and saved as a second PSD. I imported the raw jpg, the one-layer PSD, and the multi-layered PSD into a Frame 10 blank document. The resulting PDF displayed all the images correctly, no horizontal lines.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2011 Feb 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Van,

Thanks for all your input on this. The horizontal lines are back in my images I create in Photoshop. In Frame the lines are not always visible at a lower resolution. But when I increase the resolution in Frame (200%) or print the document the lines appear. The majority of my images are screen captures using Full Shot (I am creating software documentation) that are then pasted into Photoshop (CTRL-V), cleaned up, and saved as PSD files and linked by reference to Frame. I had this same problem with Frame 9.Not sure if this a Frame issue or a Photoshop issue. The horizontal line appears on, and only on, the right edge of the image (the line is not visible in Photoshop) and is exactly the same height as the image. If I save the same image as a png the line does not appear. At this point, I will be saving all of my images as PNG and PSD (in case we need to modify). I was just hoping to save the additional step and link the PSD file to the Frame document. I spent about 3 hours last night creating images in Photoshop using different techniques (RGB vs CMYK, different layer combinations etc) to try and isolate the cause, but to no luck. If you or anyone else has seen this issue and has a solution or can speculate on the cause, I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

The horizontal line appears on, and only on, the right edge of the image (the line is not visible in Photoshop) and is exactly the same height as the image.

If the line is horizontal, how it be the same height (length?) as the image? A little confused here.

You do not say what color, if any, the line is. So, given what I think you are saying above, check to see if the line is really part of the image. I am thinking that maybe when you paste the screen capture into Photoshop, Photoshop is creating an extra one-pixel wide line along the edge of the image. OR the capturing software is capturing something incorrectly or is adding the line itself. OR the software you are capturing actually has an empty (extra) line along the edge that you do not notice on screen; it could be there, but you simply do not see or notice it.

THEREFORE, open the image in Photoshop and blow it way up until the pixels are nice sized squares. Scroll to the edge where you expect the line to be, and check whether or not a line IS actually in the image. If so, crop it out.

You might also try to save the captured screen image from the capturing software. Then open it in Photoshop. In other words, avoid the pasting. Maybe Photoshop is not calculating the pixel dimensions correctly from the image on the clipboard.

The above is all conjecture...just grasping at straws.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Van,

That was my error. It is a vertical line on the right side of the image.

I tried what you said and increased the magnification of the Photoshop file and could not see any artifacts on the image file. Also, when I save the image as a PNG, the vertical line does not appear. I also thought it might be caused by the Frame template that I am currently using. I created a blank Frame document and added the same image and the vertical line appears in it also. I'm of the opinion now that this might be caused by some setting in Photoshop. I am going to post this in the Photoshop forum and see if anyone has encountered this problem.  I will post back here if I find a cause and solution. Again, thanks for your help with this issue.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It is a vertical line on the right side of the image.

This may not be a new problem, and may not be a PSD problem, or a layers problem.

I see it occasionally PDFs of FM 7.1 documents. The workflow is:
print to .ps on Solaris

distill to PDF on Win7/64 using Distiller 9.

In the case at hand, it's in a flat bitmapped TIFF imported by reference.

In Windows Reader 9, it disappears at high magnification.

In Unix Reader 7, it's not there at all.

Since there's no evidence it exists in printed copy, I haven't bothered to dig any deeper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I am also evaluating Framemaker 10 and I have exactly the same problem with the vertical line

appearing on on the right-hand side of some images in the PDF output. Saving as png

of course removes the line, but all the images are in my user manuals are currently

saved as psd, one of the plus points of framemaker for me is being able to accept this

format.

My experiences:

- Flatten layers, not applicable for company logo and doesn't work with the other images having this problem.

- I only import by reference, so makes no difference here.

- There is no line in the original psd file, also created pdfs using in-house tool and no line shown.

- Creating an additional layer, removed the vertical line from the output for single layer files. However,

doesn't work the files that are already multi-layer.

I'd appreciate your feedback from the photoshop forum Chris.

Best wishes,

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I'm having the same issue with the vertical line appearing on the right side of my .psd image in FrameMaker, but only when it is printed to .PDF.

Here are some of the things I've tried:

• Checked the .psd image for layers and found none. Therefore, it can't be flattened.
  • Zoomed in on the right side to see if I have any phantom pixels, but have found none.
  • Used the trim tool (Image>Trim). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
  • Tried saving as a pdf instead of printing to .pdf, but it still has the line.

The line reminds me of the "track edits" line that appears in the left margin of the text when tracking edits in FrameMaker. If I save the Photoshop image as an .eps file with Tiff preview and then print to .pdf from FrameMaker, the line isn't there. Has anyone figured out if it's a FrameMaker, Photoshop, or Acrobat thing?

Thanks,

Peg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out if it's a FrameMaker, Photoshop, or Acrobat thing?

Not so far, and if they have in some other forum, they haven't reported back here yet.

And the list of suspects above isn't complete. It could also be a Windows GDI bug, or an Nvidia graphics driver bug. In a case I'm looking at right now, the line goes away at 6400% mag in Acro Pro 9 on Win9/64.

I have played with what may be a work-around. I have flat (bitmapped) 600 dpi tiffs that exhibit this problem. However, if the right edge of the tiff is clipped by the anchored frame, or by a graphics frame within that frame, there is no phantom vertical line.

Doing this routinely would require some blank margin around images, particularly vector EPS, so that there is something to crop with the clipping paths those frame types provide. White dots defining the extended extents in opposite corners would suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<disregard remarks now deleted - I was not looking at the test image - clipping frame hack may yet work>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines