11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 3:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Playback stops using mouse outside PE

Nicomil2000

I want to playback a clip in the PE 8. Well, this is not the problem. I just have to push the play button.

The problem is the following: as soon as I click on my mouse outside PE or my keyboard playback is stopping. That is really boring since I'd like to write comments in a document while I am looking at my clip.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Both of Adobe's video editing programs will ONLY playback, when they have focus. There have been Feature Requests to change that behavior, but so far, Adobe has not made the change.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
            Nicomil2000 Level 1

That is not really what I wanted to hear but facts are facts.

Thanks a lot for your reply. At least that prevents me from searching for a solution.

Regards

Peter

• 3. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, sorry for the bad news, but hope that it did save time.

Where the playback can be useful, when PrE (or PrPro) does not have focus, is if one is doing narration with other software, and they wish to monitor playback in the NLE. Now, a few seem to want playback to continue, while the multi-task, but I rather question the need for this. For the former, the workaround is to Export/Share a "reference" file, and just play that in MediaPlayer Classic HC, WMP, VLC, etc. Then, the user can use another audio recorder program, to record that narration. I have to do similar, when scoring the final music for a production. I use a great, stand-alone program, SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro, which will play my reference file, with all audio from that file, while I edit the score to fit. When done, I just Export my score as a WAV, throw away my reference AV file, and am done. Sonicfire Pro is now a plug-in for FCP on a Mac, but has yet to be released as such for PrPro. I have no idea if SmartSound is also working on it as a plug-in for PrE. That saves having to Export the reference file, and I love that concept.

Perhaps the production of a reference AV file would serve your needs here?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                Robert J. Johnston Level 2

There's a utiltiy called Windows Sniper that can "encapsulate" windows and protect them from outside activity, such as you describe.

http://www.unhuman.com

After you are finished using it, I would uninstall it.

• 5. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                  waynec42me Level 1

How stupid is this as a 'Feature'. I was having this problem and thought it was a problem. What genius thought it was a good idea?

Anyhow, thanks for clearing this up.

The more I use PE, the more I'm keen to look for different software.

• 6. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Because playback of a Timeline is much more resource intensive, than just simple playback (with a video player program, the little "preview viewer" in Project Panel, or via Source Monitor). From the Timeline, one is playing the editable and edited footage, so to maximize performance, long, long ago, Adobe chose to have playback ONLY when the Timeline had focus. Switch away, and focus is lost, so is playback.

With PrPro, as of CS 5 (now up to CS 6), there are new improvements, that can affect playback, things might change. The ability to continue playback, when other programs have focus, has been a Feature Request, that is common. I can see it being added to PrPro, but until PrE gets CUDA support and MPE (Mercury Playback Engine), not sure how likely that change will be. However, as I am not an Adobe engineer, I do not really know.

Now, when I am editing, I only have the programs, that I am using, running, I have never needed this "feature." I do not do any Web browsing, or e-mail work, when I am editing. I might have Photoshop, Illustrator, Encore, After Effects, and maybe even a word processor up, but when I am playing back the Timeline, I have no need to use any of those programs, during playback. I concentrate on only one thing at a time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>concentrate on only one thing at a time

I keep telling my wife that is a "Good Thing" but she is not convinced

• 8. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I keep telling my wife that is a "Good Thing" but she is not convinced

LOL

I understand completely. It does not help that I am married to the Queen of Multi-tasking either.

For me, when editing, "tunnel-vision" can be a very good thing. I hate to break from it, even to just look at the Caller ID of incoming calls.

The only time that I take issue with the playback ceasing, when focus is lost, is when I am trying to do some animation, or audio work, to match up, so I need another program working. For those instances, I just Export/Share a "reference file," and use, say VLC Player (very small window), off to the side, to help me get a look at what I am trying to match up to. That is about what I do when working in Audition (but can actually Import that reference file into Audition) or Sonicfire Pro for scoring (again, it has a player built in for the reference file). It only takes that one step - the production of the reference file, and then its Import into the appropriate program.

Other than above, I have never found the need, but that is just me.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                          waynec42me Level 1

It's not only playback of timeline. It also does it during video capture. This is what I find frustrating.

Anyhow, todays computers should be powerful enough to playback video and open an explorer window, or am I missing something.

• 10. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>am I missing something

If you want multi-tasking, you need to use something other than PreElements (or PrePro)

For editing, I have NO idea

For Firewire operation, try one of these

I have NOT used either, but many say to try these for SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/

I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 11. Re: Playback stops using mouse outside PE
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

When I am doing a Capture, I spend most of my time with my Shot Log Spreadsheet in my lap, filling in details, and making notes, so that editing is much quicker. Others might wish to do differently, as suits their workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt