5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 9:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 won't load recently saved project

LaxMan2010-11

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 8 to create a highlight video.  I made two videos last year and didn't have this problem but this video is slightly longer.  About twenty minutes total consisting of approximately 100 video clips.  I've added one more group of clips and not when I try to load the saved project I just get a gray blank screen.  The load message finishes but nothing appears.  The drop down menus are mostly still grayed out.  No good selections except to press load project again.  This causes a system error that shuts down the application.  Any tips or tricks are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Flick

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't load recently saved project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

That gray screen would point me to checking whether you have the latest video and audio drivers installed. Check on the mfgr's. Web sites for the latest.

Next, I would check the version of Apple's QT Player installed. I think that the latest is QT 7.6.9.

After that, if the gray screen does not disappear, take a look at this ARTICLE and let us know a bit more about your system, Project and Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also, have you updated PrE to 8.0.1?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't load recently saved project
            LaxMan2010-11 Level 1

Bill,

I have upgraded to PrE 8.0.1 and this caused a big decrease in the number of crashes.  That was a good upgrade.  After dozens of crashes last year I have had no crashes this year.  I think the video and audio drivers are ok because I was fine one day and down the next.  You might be on to something with the Apple QT player.  I will check tonight.  Got to go now.  Talk to you later.

Thanks,

Dave

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't load recently saved project
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I think the video and audio drivers are ok because I was fine one day and down the next.

Unfortunately, this is often a false sense of security. A video (or audio) driver can be rendered obsolete with just an OS update, or hot-fix - great one day, but dead the next day. I would still check the verion number and date, and go with the very latest.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't load recently saved project
                LaxMan2010-11 Level 1

Bill, here is the good news.

I updated the Quick Time like you suggested but no help.  I updated the video driver but no help.  I disabled the hardware acceleration but no help.  During this time I realized the problem started after I upgraded McAfee.  I remembered the new McAfee Real Time scanning effected my Outlook software.  So I disabled the McAfee Real Time scanning and then Premiere Elements 8 would successfully load my saved project.  What a relief.  I went back and Turned On the McAfee Real Time scanning but changed the setting to only scan programs and documents, not all files as previously set.  I'm back in business and really appreciate your help.  Thanks a million.

Dave Flick

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 won't load recently saved project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Great news and thank you for reporting your success!

The "real time scanning" anti-virus software (and spy-sweeping and pop-up blocking too) is great for the average computer user, but has proven to be "death" for programs, like video editors. Maybe we should suggest a "sticky" at the top of the forum page, on making sure that such programs, however good they might be for the average user, be turned off, or at least reigned in, as you did. This has become a major problem, and not just with PrE.

I rely on most of the tips in this ARTICLE, prior to doing any video editing.

Appreciated, and good luck,

Hunt