5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 4:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Import seperate left / right audio channels .wav in Premiere Elements 9?

Olivervideo

Hi,

I have MPEG-2 HDV-footage from a canon camcorder which is available as seperate stream files: The video information as a video.m2v file and the 2 stereo audio channels (left and right) in seperate streams video_1.wav and video_2.wav.

While it is possible to import the .m2v and one audio file .wav by dragging them on the timeline for video and audio, I don't know how to handle the fact that the stereo audio is split in two seperate files and must be somehow combined to a stereo audio timeline. Does someone know how to import these three file to an editable HD stereo video?

Thanks in advance,

Olivervideo

• 1. Re: Import seperate left / right audio channels .wav in Premiere Elements 9?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried connecting the camcorder to your computer with a FireWire/IEEE-1394 connection and using Premiere Elements' Get Media/HDV Camcorder tool to capture the video?

Importing this video is probably not the best way to get it into a project.

(At least I'm assuming that when you say HDV, you mean tape-based HDV video -- and not AVCHD or some other hi-def format.)

• 2. Re: Import seperate left / right audio channels .wav in Premiere Elements 9?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If I understand correctly, your camera records the two channels, as 1 Left-channel and 1 Right-channel, each as a mono source. Is that correct?

If you have the two 1-channel Clips on the Timeline, they will be mixed down to a 2-channel Master (stereo), with output.

The same will happen with other Audio source files, whether 1-channel, 2-channel, or 6-channel (5.1 SS). This is automatically done with Export/Share.

If I missed what you have, and what you need, please correct me, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Import seperate left / right audio channels .wav in Premiere Elements 9?
              Olivervideo Level 1

You are right, source is digital HDV tape video and it has been previously captured in the format I have described. Re-capturing with premiere elements should be a solution of course but, since many tapes must be transferred again, is an effort I want to avoid.

Oliver

• 4. Re: Import seperate left / right audio channels .wav in Premiere Elements 9?
                Olivervideo Level 1

Bill,

My camera is a canon HV20 and this way of creating the files while capturing tape footage is done by Pinnacle studio. Now I want to edit these captured files in Premiere elements.

Pinacle created from the tape

one video file .m2v

two audio files .wav

Do you suggest that I arrange these files in premiere in the following manner on the time line:

video 1 = video file .m2v

audio 1 = left channel

audio 2 = right channel ?

Regards,

Olivervideo

• 5. Re: Import seperate left / right audio channels .wav in Premiere Elements 9?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that would work fine. As the two channels were split by Pinnacle (wonder why it does that?), from the camera, they should Snap into place and be in sync, especially being WAV. The mix-down will be done automatically upon Export/Share. Same for mix-downs of any other Audio sources, like music, or SFX on other Audio Tracks.

Now, just to make sure that you are getting what was originally recorded, open up Audio Mixer, and if necessary, Pan the Left Channel more to the left, and the Right Channel more to the right. Do not be temped to Pan them all the way in either direction, as you want some phantom center, and that comes from a touch of left in the right, and a touch of right in the left. Most Audio editors prefer working with pure mono sources, as they can then locate them, as needed in the mix-down. I feel that way about 6-channel Audio - give me 6 discrete channels, and let me work with those.

Good luck,

Hunt