0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 3:34 PM by MissionBuilders

any preferred method for good looking 1080/60i to 1080/24p in post?

MissionBuilders

I am in the planning stages for an extensive "pick up" shoot for a documentary but I have a post production question that I'm sure someone can answer.  I have hours and hours of raw footage shot with a couple of HVX200s at 960x720/24p (well, you know, 23.876p but anyway) and this was going to originally make up the entire production, but interest has gathered and the timing is right for a more in depth and longer feature, which is going to require much more footage.  Another reason to shoot more is that the existing footage is just not dynamic and is almost 98% locked down interviews with an occasional handheld bit here and there.  The final project is going to be output at 1080/24p (for blu ray and festival submission) and I know I can upconvert the 720 stuff easily enough, just won't be as sharp.  This is a documentary so obviously some of the source elements are simply going to suck as they are standard def footage some of which is one or two generation VHS tape, but I plan to limit this to only what is needed for the "story".  For the new footage, we will be using a Canon EOS 60D shooting 1080/24p as well as a Panasonic HDC-SD1 early AVCHD consumer camera that shoots 1080/60i.

I have CS5 Production Premium as well as Red Giant's Magic Bullet Suite that includes Frames.  However, just thinking ahead here, we want all the footage to conform to the 1080/24p final project settings.  I can deinterlace and convert using an external video processor into a Matrox MXO2 Mini but of course that is going to get me into real time capture for the AVCHD sourced footage.  If I can do the deinterlacing and frame rate conversion CLEANLY in software, I would prefer that.  The answers to this will also directly affect how much use the AVCHD camera sees.  Some test footage, not converted, looks good with this older camera that is coupled with a Brevis35 and some Nikon glass.  It's certainly a diferent look from the DSLR but it has a characteristic that I think might lend itself to this documentary.  Perhaps it's the highly compressed codec or the added accessories from Cinevate, but playing around with some presets and "film looks" I can get to look a lot like 16mm where the DSLR can look more like 35 so artistically, I am looking forward to using it.

But back to the question (sorry for rambling, I've got the flu so I am going to blame it on the cough medicine)...  Is MB Frames the right plug-in or should I just let Premiere Pro convert in the timeline (might be more involved, not really sure) or should I go to my other option of using the outboard video processor (FYI a Radiance XS from Lumagen) to deinterlace and convert to 23.976?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.