17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 8:13 AM by Crist OC/PC

GTX 460 or GTX 470

Adamousman

It was suggested that I save money and order the 460 instead of the 470.  Also, the 460 has more RAM... is that to be very beneficial?

• 1. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am sorry but where did you get the idea that the 460 has more memory?  It has less memory.  Take a look at this nVidia page.

All that aside you will currently not see alot of performance difference dropping back to the 460 as long as you make sure you get the 1 GB video RAM version, the 768 MB board will not support MPE

• 2. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
            Jim_Simon Level 9

It depends on which card you get, Bill.  My 460 has 2GB of RAM and costs less than most 470s, which come with only 1280.

More VRAM is better.

• 3. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
              Shah555

This is my first ever post on adobe forum. I just installed EVGA NVIDIA GTX 460 with 2GB Ram with MPE Hack. It does make a big difference in rendering but not too much in previewing even on 1/2 scale preview window. The problem I have right now is when I render a 30 sec movie it gives me a error  " ERROR COMPILING MOVIE " - "UNKNOWN ERROR".

Please Help.

MySystem is DELL Studio XPS i7 16gb Ram, EVGA GTX 460

• 4. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                Jeff Bellune Level 5

Shah555,

Please stop posting the same post multiple times.  So far you've posted in the Photoshop forum and in 3 different topics here in the Pr forums.  I've deleted the duplicate posts in the Pr forums.  Don't do it again.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some reading... Long File Names or odd characters cause problems

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
                  And #4 Here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558?tstart=0
                  And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641?tstart=0
                  • 6. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                    Shah555 Level 1

Sorry about that. I only posted where GTX 460 was concerened.

• 7. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                      Crist OC/PC Level 2

Jim.

Is right the gtx460 can have 2G. but to make the comparation correctly we have to pu in account this:

GTX460 2G         

GPU Engine Specs:
                      Graphics card versionGTX 460 1GB GDDR5GTX 460 768MB GDDR5GTX 460 SE
                      CUDA Cores336336288
                      Graphics Clock (MHz)675 MHz675 MHz650 MHz
                      Processor Clock (MHz)1350 MHz1350 MHz1300 MHz
                      Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)37.8 37.8 31.2
                      Memory Specs:
                      Graphics card versionGTX 460 1GB GDDR5GTX 460 768MB GDDR5GTX 460 SE
                      Memory Clock180018001700
                      Standard Memory Config1 GB GDDR5768MB GDDR51 GB GDDR5
                      Memory Interface Width256-bit192-bit256-bit
                      Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)115.286.4108.8

GTX 470

GPU Engine Specs:
                      CUDA Cores448
                      Graphics Clock (MHz)607 MHz
                      Processor Clock (MHz)1215 MHz
                      Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)34.0
                      Memory Specs:
                      Memory Clock (MHz)1674
                      Standard Memory Config1280 MB GDDR5
                      Memory Interface Width320-bit
                      Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)133.9

So is like to compare 2G RAM DDR2 600mhz VS 1g RAM DDR3 1600Mhz

Any how. THE gtx460 IS A GREAT CARD costs less and if is well O.C. will rom as well as the GTX470.

I use GTX460 @ 890 mhz and I got the same result that with a GTX470@ 750 Mhz.

B.R.

Cristobal

• 8. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                        rcrodgers Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of spec'ing out a new machine specifically for use with the Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium edition since my old machine is based around an AMD graphics card and is 5 years old. The graphics card that I picked out is a dual GPU GTX 460 card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130653

My key concern over the last couple of days is that I noticed the GTX 460 isn't on the list of  CS supported CUDA capable GPUs. The comments in this thread imply that it can be made to work, possibly with a "hack;" first of all, is that true? Second, would I be better off getting a single GPU card that, such as the GTX 470, than this dual GTX 460? (In other words, does the fact that does SLI internally benefit me or will CS only really use one GPU for CUDA?)

Finally, if the 460 can be made to work, can someone point me in the direction of this MPE hack? I'm going to browse the forum and the other "GTX 460" search results to see if I can find it, but I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thank you!

Raymond Rodgers

• 9. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470

Do not get the dual GPU card it will not work or maybe it will try to use one GPU and the other will be a waste of money.  Adobe CS5 and CS5.5 do not support dual GPU cards.  Why go with a old generation of the GTX 400 series when in November nVidia is releasing the GTX 600 series and then you will really be stuck with an antique.

All you have to do is edit and add the proper name to the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

For less than the price of the card you looked at you can get a GTX 570, or since you got by with your ATI/AMD card for so long wait and get a 600 series card.

• 10. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Dual GPU's are useless, since Adobe only uses one. The hack is a simple text file modification.

The 460 is at the lower end of the spectrum, the 560/570 are noticeably faster and cooler. Look here: http://ppbm5.com/MPE%20Charts.php

• 11. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                              Crist OC/PC Level 2

I agree with Bill.

B.R.

Cristobal

• 12. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                                Crist OC/PC Level 2

What a nice animation on the ppbm... (Y)

• 13. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Is that the Y from yikes? Check the Top-20 charts as well and scroll down fast to see the animations. Had some difficulty figuring out the required SQL statement for the MPE chart. Had to limit the database search to MPE only cards, then get the distinct video cards used, then limit the results to only those cards that have 5 or more observations and for those results calculate the average gains and render times. With those results  in XML format, I could chart them, but had to make sure the color coding was consistent in the three charts.

• 14. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                                    rcrodgers Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Do not get the dual GPU card it will not work or maybe it will try to use one GPU and the other will be a waste of money.  Adobe CS5 and CS5.5 do not support dual GPU cards.  Why go with a old generation of the GTX 400 series when in November nVidia is releasing the GTX 600 series and then you will really be stuck with an antique.

All you have to do is edit and add the proper name to the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file.  .

Thanks for the information, as for the 600 series, I'm not familiar with NVidia's release cycles or model numbers (I normally stick to AMD GPUs); I was under the impression that the 500 series was more or less just released. I'll see if I can find any information on the expected release dates of the 600 series and if it falls within my timetable, then I'll grab one, otherwise I'll probably grab a 500 series.

Thanks again!

Raymond

• 15. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470

While you see that the most popular card on our PPBM results is the GTX 470 it is now discontinued and while you might find a few around it is not something special about it.  It just was the most popular board of the last generation.

Here is what I found on the release date.  They supposedly are trying for Novenber/December to get the Christmas trade

• 16. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                                        rcrodgers Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Dual GPU's are useless, since Adobe only uses one. The hack is a simple text file modification.

The 460 is at the lower end of the spectrum, the 560/570 are noticeably faster and cooler. Look here: http://ppbm5.com/MPE%20Charts.php

Thanks for the information! As I stated in my second reply a few seconds ago, I'm going to start looking into the 600 series, but if it's not going to be released within my timetable, I'm probably going to go with a 500 series (probably the GTX 570 I'm looking at right this moment).

Thanks again!

Raymond

• 17. Re: GTX 460 or GTX 470
                                          Crist OC/PC Level 2

VERY COOLL...

(Y) = Y.jpg