7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 8:38 AM by Harm Millaard

Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards

C6Pilot

I have upgraded to CS5 after many years of using Premiere 6.5 for SD footage. The move to CS5 was required because I have moved into the HD world. Now it is time to upgrade to one of the CUDA enabled video cards since my Quadro FX4500 does not support CUDA. I had considered the Quadro FX4800, FX4000 or possibly the FX2000 but I was just curious if anyone has had experience with the above mentioned cards and what thier thoughts were.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts..

Dell T5400

16gb

2xQuad Core Xeons 12m/3.33mhz/1333

Quadro FX4500

3x1tb 7200

• 1. Re: Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It definitely is worth the investment to upgrade to a capable MPE/CUDA card. Your system equipped with such a card is only around 3 - 4 times slower than the fastest and latest systems, despite being two generations old. The 570 and 580 offer a better price/performance ratio than any Quadro card. All the Quadros are less specced than the 570/580 and more expensive.

Look here for successfull configurations: PPBM5 Benchmark

• 2. Re: Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards
            C6Pilot Level 1

I am a bit confused.. Are you stating that the entire system is slower by a factor of 3-4 because of the current video sub-system or that it is slower due to the other supporting hardware. My main use is for 3D that is heavily dependent on OpenGL thus the Quadro FX4500. I need to strike a balance between video editing performance and 3D Animation performance.

• 3. Re: Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Your system is slower because to the dated chipset and CPU.

• 4. Re: Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards
                C6Pilot Level 1

Actually the T5400 is only one generation old. The T5500 is the current Dell Precison Workstation. The FSB speed and memory speeds are the same in both systems. The specs between them both are not that much different with execption of the 5500 chipset used in the T5500. I use a T7500 at work with the same 3.3ghz processor as my T5400. Running the same software on both, with the exception of Premier, there is not a 3+ difference in speed. Even the load bearing compute benchmarks that we run do not indicate a big difference. Maybe I am missing something here when it comes to optimized systems for Premier.

Confused in Texas.

• 5. Re: Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Xeon 54xx has been succeeded by the Xeon 55xx, which has been succeeded by the Xeon 56xx. That makes it two generations.

Xeon 54xx is about 3 - 4 times slower than the Xeon 56xx. See: PPBM5 Benchmark

I would be very surprised if

a T7500 at work with the same 3.3ghz processor as my T5400. Running the same software on both, with the exception of Premier, there is not a 3+ difference in speed.

there were a difference using the same CPU's.

• 6. Re: Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards
                    C6Pilot Level 1

I see where you are going with this. I was only comparing Quad Core processors of the same speed. The 54XX series of processors were LGA771 pin whille the newer 55XX and 56XX are Socket B LGA-1366 pin processors. The 56XX series is also a 6core CPU. The PPBM5 Benchmarks show that the T7500's were running dual 6core processors so I can see where there would be performance difference with the 4 additional cores. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a T7500 with 12cores and 32gb of memory. That should work..

• 7. Re: Nvidia GTX 560ti,570 & 580 video cards
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Only the Xeon X56xx are hexa cores, the rest of the 56xx family is quad core.