3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 7:07 AM by JohnDevlon

How to move code to the left or right?

JohnDevlon

Hi,

Does anyone know how you can easly move code to the left or right using ExtendScript Toolkit app?

In Dreamweaver there are 2 buttons which allows you to move the code. The buttons will insert or remove tab characters before the code.

Kind regards

John

• 1. Re: How to move code to the left or right?
          [Jongware]-9BC6tI Level 4

Quite to my surprise (Adobe missed the boat, AFAIAC, with just about the entire rest of the Extendscript editor), it adheres to the common conventions for most code editors(*): Tab indents a selected block, Shift+Tab outdents it.

(*) Apple's XCode editor replaces the selected text with a tab. Yuck.

• 2. Re: How to move code to the left or right?
            JohnDevlon Level 1

Thanx for your great feedback. It seems to work like a charm.

It also would be nice if adobe could do something about it's code completion functionality in the Toolkit. It's really a pain in my ***. It really doesn't work as well as it should be... Now, I have to lookup every property and function in the object model viewer...

John

• 3. Re: How to move code to the left or right?
              [Jongware]-9BC6tI Level 4

Precisely. That's why I don't bother with their editor at all. (I must have started it, just for you, first time in several years.)

My personal code editor favourite is TextPad (Windows); it doesn't have code completion or other niceties, but it *has* built-in support for custom Windows Help Files. (Get it? )

Second best -- because it's not right there, but gettin' better all the time -- is TextWrangler on the Mac.

Of course I can only work with external editors because I don't really need the incessant pop-ups or the built-in Help. Don't worry, your time will come for that as well.