3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 7:07 AM by JohnDevlon

How to move code to the left or right?

JohnDevlon Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know how you can easly move code to the left or right using ExtendScript Toolkit app?

In Dreamweaver there are 2 buttons which allows you to move the code. The buttons will insert or remove tab characters before the code.

Kind regards

John

• 1. Re: How to move code to the left or right?
          [Jongware]-9BC6tI Level 4

Quite to my surprise (Adobe missed the boat, AFAIAC, with just about the entire rest of the Extendscript editor), it adheres to the common conventions for most code editors(*): Tab indents a selected block, Shift+Tab outdents it.

(*) Apple's XCode editor replaces the selected text with a tab. Yuck.

• 2. Re: How to move code to the left or right?
            JohnDevlon Level 1

Thanx for your great feedback. It seems to work like a charm.

It also would be nice if adobe could do something about it's code completion functionality in the Toolkit. It's really a pain in my ***. It really doesn't work as well as it should be... Now, I have to lookup every property and function in the object model viewer...

John

• 3. Re: How to move code to the left or right?
              [Jongware]-9BC6tI Level 4

Precisely. That's why I don't bother with their editor at all. (I must have started it, just for you, first time in several years.)

My personal code editor favourite is TextPad (Windows); it doesn't have code completion or other niceties, but it *has* built-in support for custom Windows Help Files. (Get it? )

Second best -- because it's not right there, but gettin' better all the time -- is TextWrangler on the Mac.

Of course I can only work with external editors because I don't really need the incessant pop-ups or the built-in Help. Don't worry, your time will come for that as well.