4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 7:03 AM by Colin Brougham

Best PPCS5 output codec for import to FCE

davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Got a friend who's had trouble capturing from my XHA1 into Final Cut Express on his Macbook Pro. So I'm capturing using PProCS5 and I'm going to export the clips for him to edit on his FCE. I don't have any special codec packages installed, just the basics that come with PPro. What's the best output to give him for editing in FCE on his Mac?

• 1. Re: Best PPCS5 output codec for import to FCE
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

While I'm still interested in some replies, I found out he only needs this for the audio... he's not using the visuals off this camera at all. So I went ahead and exported using the Quicktime NTSC-DV codec and it's importing fine for him. Not HD, but all he needs is the sound.

• 2. Re: Best PPCS5 output codec for import to FCE
            Colin Brougham Level 6

...but all he needs is the sound.

You could have exported AIFFs then, and forgone the unnecessary bulk of even the DV MOVs.

You're probably a little limited with the built-in codecs for HD source when going from PPro the FCE. Yeah, you could do something like uncompressed/None, but those would be huge. I'm not positive, but a DVCPROHD MOV might work, even in FCE--yes, you do have that as an export option from Premiere Pro, and I'm not talking about P2 MXF. Those would keep the file sizes reasonable, and not apply too much additional, visible compression.

Another choice would be the Avid DNxHD QuickTime codecs; they're cross-platform, free, and look great. That involves an install on both machines (get 'em here), but that's pretty painless and offers great flexibility.

• 3. Re: Best PPCS5 output codec for import to FCE
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks for the info, Colin... I'm going to look into the AVID codec as I have to get stuff to the guys in our Mac video lab here where I work from time to time as well.

He wanted the video out of it to help him with syncing the sound, though he's not planning on using any of the video, hence the inability to go AIFF, though I had thought about that.

• 4. Re: Best PPCS5 output codec for import to FCE
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Copy that. Another option would have been to use QuickTime H.264; you can super-crunch the video (still good enough for syncing purposes) and Premiere will let you export uncompressed audio into that container even with H.264.

The Avid codecs are great for inter-platform workflows. ProRes isn't bad (pretty similar to Avid DNxHD), but it's a one-way street: a PC will play them back, but cannot encode them at all, and only a Mac with FCP installed can encode them. The Avid codecs are all kumbaya with whatever platform and tool you choose to use, and the price cannot be argued with.