7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 1:03 PM by tobytobetoby

Export question re: Elements 9

tobytobetoby

Hi

I have created a short film of about 10 minutes (content is mostly audio, visual content is mostly stills and tiny amount of video)

I successfully exported the films as WMV files using Elements, just to get a decent "draft" finished item.

The WMV file looks perfect, superb quality at 640x480 and the file is only 11MB.

However, I need to submit the film as a MPEG-4, MOV or AVI file.

Whenever I use Elements to try and export as one of those file formats I have the following problems:

- AVI, file comes out at 200MB and the stills are worse quality than the WMV

- MPEG-4, used the Quick Time option given by Elements, PAL DV and MPEG codec at highest quality, again 200 MB file produced and quality worse than the WMV...
      - MOV, no idea how to spit one of these out using Elements.

If I could submit the film in WMV format I would be happy, it is small file size and perfect quality.... but I can't...

I am fairly fuzzy on this whole video file/codec format stuff. What I am doing wrong? What are my options?
      I have even tried getting the WMV files converted to MPEG-4 using Zamzar and though the file size is good (20MB) the quality is poor).

Thanks in advance.
      Toby

• 1. Re: Export question re: Elements 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Toby,

Let's step back for a moment, and talk about those stills. What are the pixel x pixel size of them?

Next, what is your Project Preset, chosen at New Project?

Then, when you chose AVI, can you tell us what the settings were?

WMV (different CODEC's and also bit-rates/quality settings available) is usually a very highly-compressed format, hence the smaller file sizes. It is also a good choice for streaming media. H.264 is the same. However, there are many variables in those choices.

By knowing the answers to the first questions posed, someone should be able to help you make the right choices for the highest quality Export/Share.

Now, since you are submitting the Project, are there file size limitations, or do you just want to keep the file size down? The reason that I ask this is because higher bit-rates will yield higher quality, but also larger file sizes. If you have a target that you must hit, then the choice is to drop the bit-rate down, and live with the lowered quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Export question re: Elements 9
            tobytobetoby Level 1

Hi Hunt

Thanks for taking the time.

- Stills are either 1200x800 or 640x480 JPEGs .

- Project preset is DV PAL (hope that makes sense). What should this ideally be if wanting to export the final film as a Quick Time movie or as an MPEG-4?

- When I chose AVI, I chose the Microsoft AVI format and changed it so that output resolution was 640x480 (instead of the preset format of 720x576)

I understand the basic relationship between file size and video quality, and it is because of that that I am highly confused at what I have now, viz:

-  a WMV file that is BOTH small (less than 20MB) AND as high quality as I could ever wish for (i.e. I cannot imagine an uncompressed file being of better quality than this WMV).

- 2 AVI files (one compressed at 100% quality, one at 50% quality) using the settings above that are BOTH huge (200MB) AND worse quality than the 20MB WMV file!!!

- 2 Quick Time movies (one using the MPEG-4 codec, the other using the H.264 codec) that are also BOTH huge (200MB) and worse quality then the 20 MB WMV file.....

So I seem to have something happening here that supposedly runs counter to the well-known higher-quality-equals-higher-file-size rule of commpressed video.... I understand that I haven't made some new discovery here, rather that I am misunderstanding something about Premiere/codecs/file formats.

Thanks

Toby

• 3. Re: Export question re: Elements 9
              tobytobetoby Level 1

sorry, typo, the WMV file is only 11MB, not 20MB. no big difference, but confusing perhaps.

• 4. Re: Export question re: Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Toby,

Are you Exporting for the PAL TV standard?

Is there a requirement for that Frame Size, 640 x 480?

You say that you can submit an AVI file. Are there any specifications on what CODEC must be used in that AVI "wrapper?"

Also, exactly how are you judging the output files? Are you using the same players, the same monitor, and the same display size for all?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Export question re: Elements 9
                  tobytobetoby Level 1

>>Are you Exporting for the PAL TV standard?

No, when exporting as AVI, I was exporting for Microsoft AVI standard.
                  I will try exporting as DV PAL standard, that sounds like a good lead.

>>Is there a requirement for that Frame Size, 640 x 480?
                  No, not really, but it looks fine at the resolution and I wanted to keep it low-ish and 4x3 ratio.

I will try using the default of 720x576, another good lead.

>>You say that you can submit an AVI file. Are there any specifications on what CODEC must be used in that AVI "wrapper?"

No, none. I will go ahead and use the DV PAL CODEC that is chosen as default for the DV PAL standard preset under AVI Export.

>>Also, exactly how are you judging the output files? Are you using the same players, the same monitor, and the same display size for all?

All files are being played on same PC & monitor.
                  AVI and WMV files are being compared in Windows Media Player at same display size.
                  Quick Time files played in Quick Time at same display size as the AVI and WMV files. Quality in WMV file is clearly better (I mean video quality, audio is uncompressed in all 3 file types).

I will try exporting as AVI to DV PAL standard and report back.

Thanks again.

Toby

• 6. Re: Export question re: Elements 9
                    tobytobetoby Level 1

No luck.

Exporting as an AVI using the PAL DV Preset (at 720x576 resolution) gives me a video file that looks pretty good (almost as good as the 11MB WMV file) but unfortunately this new AVI file weighs in at 400MB.................

V frustrating, any more suggestions from anyone welcomed.

• 7. Re: Export question re: Elements 9
                      tobytobetoby Level 1

Just to clarify, the issue is not so much one of quality between different exported files, they are roghly similar in quality (all are acceptable).

Rather the real problem is that the MOV and AVI files I create by exporting (c. 200MB in size) are a whole order of magnitude larger than the WMV files (c. 15MB in size) which is a real problem.