9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 11:30 AM by EBPeach

Hex value variation?

EBPeach Level 1

Hello,

I am working on a new website for a department of a large university. The university has defined brand colors, which theoretically makes my life easier. However, I have a header div and footer div both coded to have a background color of #500000 that are displaying as noticeably different shades when viewed online. I have checked firefox, chrome, safari, and opera to rule out a browser issue, and the footer displays the wrong color in each.

For reference: http://new.physics.tamu.edu/about/archive

The header and logo on the left of the footer are all the correct shade, but the footer background displays differently despite having the same hex value.

Any help as to why this variation is happening and what I can do to fix it?

• 1. Re: Hex value variation?
          osgood_ Level 8

EBPeach wrote:

The header and logo on the left of the footer are all the correct shade, but the footer background displays differently despite having the same hex value.

What's throwing you out is the background color to the 'college of science' logo in the bottom left corner. That's not correct' it's background color is #461311 instead of #500000.

All the other colours are CORRECT apart from the background color of that logo.

• 2. Re: Hex value variation?
            EBPeach Level 1

Thanks for your reply, osgood! I did indeed need to double-check the hex value of the logo, and updated it to #500000 (I'd been working with two different logos and linked the wrong one before). However, now the problem is even more glaring. Despite being coded correctly, the footer color is NOT displaying correctly.

• 3. Re: Hex value variation?
              osgood_ Level 8

EBPeach wrote:

Thanks for your reply, osgood! I did indeed need to double-check the hex value of the logo, and updated it to #500000 (I'd been working with two different logos and linked the wrong one before). However, now the problem is even more glaring. Despite being coded correctly, the footer color is NOT displaying correctly.

I can see you have changed the background-color to the logo and everything looks fine to me, it matches the background-color of the the footer <div>? What are you seeing?

• 4. Re: Hex value variation?
                TAMU Physics IT Level 1

Osgood:  When I look at the page, I definately see a different color in the header than I do in the footer.   What's wierd is that I have a Firefox addon called Colorzilla - that is telling me the colors are both #500000.

Wierd.

• 5. Re: Hex value variation?
                  osgood_ Level 8

chris-barnes@tamu.edu wrote:

Osgood:  When I look at the page, I definately see a different color in the header than I do in the footer.   What's wierd is that I have a Firefox addon called Colorzilla - that is telling me the colors are both #500000.

Wierd.

Have you got one of these monitors that  make the colours look darker at the top of the screen than at the bottom? You sort of get a graduation effect. I bet that is what you're seeing.

I see that on mine too but if you scroll the header down to the bottom of the screen it looks lighter.

• 6. Re: Hex value variation?
                    EBPeach Level 1

Did some more tweaking and re-exported the COS logo for web - for some reason it seemed like the color profile was corrupt in that file.

However, at this point I've been staring at a lot of maroon.

http://new.physics.tamu.edu/fake

We're good now, yes?

• 7. Re: Hex value variation?
                      osgood_ Level 8

EBPeach wrote:

Did some more tweaking and re-exported the COS logo for web - for some reason it seemed like the color profile was corrupt in that file.

However, at this point I've been staring at a lot of maroon.

http://new.physics.tamu.edu/fake

We're good now, yes?

I don't think there is any difference than before to be honest. Before was good as well. It just looks ok now because both elements are closer together on the screen rather than further apart.

I think it's beacuse of the variation of color on the screen from top to bottom. A lot of monitors appear to be like that now. Maybe more expensive ones are'nt. I've got an Imac and my screen graduates from top to bottom giving a false impression of the color. It's crap to be honest but you get used to it. My previous Imac screen did'nt do this

• 8. Re: Hex value variation?
                        TAMU Physics IT Level 1

Os' post made me try adjusting MY HEAD.   Turns out the color difference I was noticing was due to different amounts of room glare on my monitor (from top to bottom).   

The colors ARE the same...

• 9. Re: Hex value variation?
                          EBPeach Level 1

Thanks for your help, guys. The backgrounds WERE the same, but the logo colors were the problem. Even after I fixed them and saved, the changes weren't getting through until I re-exported the file. So it was nothing to do with the hex value and everything to do with user error