4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 2:14 PM by Annabella Uio

Random Filter Ordering

Annabella Uio Level 1

Half the time when I attempt to move a filter to a new position in a  clip's filter chain, it moves instead to a random position, or doesn't  move at all.  Anybody else have this problem?  Is it a known bug?  It  never happened to me with CS3.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Random Filter Ordering
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, first there are several fixed Effects, and you cannot arrange those, nor can you add an Effect within those. The only order that you can alter is for those that you have added. For instance, you cannot place an Effect above Opacity, Motion, etc. They are fixed Effects.

Can you tell us which Effects you are trying to re-order, and to where you wish to re-order them. You are correct to look into the order of application of Effects, as that can have great impact on their behavior.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Random Filter Ordering
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            Is it a known bug?

Yes, and a rather annoying one as it seems to pop up randomly and without any apparent cause. The workaround is just to try dragging the other filter you want in a different order. For example, if you have Filter A followed by Filter B in the effects stack, and you want to swap the order but Filter A won't move, try dragging Filter B instead. I just call it Filter Jenga

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Random Filter Ordering
              Annabella Uio Level 1

Thanks Colin!  Your answer was very helpful.  I sure hope Adobe fixes this tout suite.  It is quite maddening.  I too have tried moving different filters around in different ways to get to where I want, sometimes with success and sometime not.

• 4. Re: Random Filter Ordering
                SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

We have seen this intermitantly, but do not have reliable enough steps to narrow it down yet. If you have a good way to reproduce us please let us know.