• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placeholders in header section of topic page?

Advisor ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 8.02

Merged WebHelp

Has anyone figured a workaround for getting placeholders (breadcrumbs, mini-TOC) into the header section of a topic page, standard or master? (The placeholder options are dimmed when selecting header or footer.) Even if I try to sneak in the HTML, RH just blows it away or keeps it with no functionality.

Have they fixed this in RH9?

Leon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon

What if you insert the placeholder just above the Body placeholder but not in the Header proper? That seems to work and behave the same as the Header.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if I want it to serve as a master page, Rick.

We already have both placeholders in the body, but I was hoping to take them out of the body entirely. Our staff seems to randomly disable them, how I don't know (they insist they DIDN'T TOUCH A THING!

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I'm not understanding your bit about you can't have it if you want it to serve as a Master Page. That's precisely where you would do it.

What am I missing?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 10, 2011 Feb 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my take on the RH Master (Template) Page:

Header (<?rh-region_start type="header"?><?rh-region_end type="header" ?>)

- Applies to New and Existing topics

Body (<body></body>)
     - Applies only to New topics (will not overwrite existing body content)

Footer (<?rh-region_start type="footer"?><?rh-region_end type="footer" ?>)
     - Applies to New and Existing topics

How do you place anything "between" those elements and have RH interpret the content?

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon

I can't explain *WHY* RoboHelp does what it does. But I've noticed that a change occurred beginning with version 8.

Sure, in 7 and earlier we had Topic Templates. And we were restricted to the three areas you mentioned. But with version 8, you are now able to insert stuff outside the Body placeholder and it works in a similar manner to the former Header/Footer. Note that this doesn't replace the Header/Footer, you are still free and even encouraged to use them.

Probably best to just give it a try and see how it behaves first hand. Create a Master Page. Add perhaps some text or maybe a breadcrumbs placeholder in the area just above or just below the Body placeholder. Then associate the Master Page with some topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Boy, what the he*& were they thinking (the Adobe people)? Why would they allow the addition of "pseudo-header" content that works just like header content, but entirely outside the documented header-body-footer construct? Instead, in the case of my example below, they're transforming the "pseudo-header" placeholders in the master page into a placeholder-header hybrid in the topic assigned to the master page.

I wouldn't mind so much if they actually documented it, instead of sticking with this in their help:

Note: You cannot insert a placeholder inside a paragraph as inline text or in headers or footers.

My testing:

1. In a master page, add the HTML code for two placeholders (breadcrumbs and mini-TOC) "between" the <?rh-region_end type="header" ?> and <?rh-region_start type="body" ?> tags.
  2. Assign the master page to a topic; that topic's source file now contains a <?rh-placeholder type="header" ?> tag after the <body> tag!
  3. Generate the output; placeholders appear in the output.
  4. Edit the master page (change the mini-TOC label, for example, from "In This Topic" to "See These Sections").
  5. Generate again; the change appears in the output.

So, when they say (further up in their Master Page help topic):

When you create a topic using a master page, the body content is placed in the resulting topic. If you apply a master page to an existing topic, the body content is ignored. [except for the pseudo-header content in the body, you mean]

Wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp