8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2007 9:41 AM by Shiv_Kumar

Any Enhacements to the <mx:Image> control?

Shiv_Kumar
      In the past I have cited many difficulties/bugs with the <mx:image> control. Namely to do with the actual size of an image when scaled, events generated etc.

Has this control been enhaced in Flex 3.0?
        • 1. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
          vdwpeter Level 1
          I would like to add to it: when will it finally be possible to use Scale9 on bitmaps? I get the most strange results on bitmap scaling.
          • 2. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
            Shiv_Kumar Level 1
            vdpeter,

I've been using scale9 with png files without a problem. It took a few tries to understand the concept but once I got past that it been really cool.
            • 3. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
              matt_chotin Level 3
              Hi, we haven't made any significant changes to the Image control for Flex 3. If there are features that you are looking for can you please file enhancement requests at http://bugs.adobe.com/flex?

Matt
              Adobe
              • 4. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
                Shiv_Kumar Level 1
                Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll deffinately put in some enhacement requests. However, my concerns are:
                1. Is there time to implement enhacements?
                2. I don't get the warm and fuzzy with the way Adobe handles Flex developers. I've been voicing my issues with various things (like a lot of people here) and it just feels like they fall on deaf ears. We're constantly invited to beta test and provide feedback, but what's the point when no one listens?

Sorry for the venting.
                • 5. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
                  matt_chotin Level 3
                  quote:

1. Is there time to implement enhacements?

There may be time for some small things, but you're right that often it is difficult to add enhancements when they were not planned for originally. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't request things though. At the beginning of every release cycle we go through all requests and look for things that are common and see if we can address them. Not filing means we don't get to hear your voice, and with the public bug system it means that others don't get an opportunity to vote for your issue and provide the justification that we need to spend time on something.

quote:

2. I don't get the warm and fuzzy with the way Adobe handles Flex developers. I've been voicing my issues with various things (like a lot of people here) and it just feels like they fall on deaf ears. We're constantly invited to beta test and provide feedback, but what's the point when no one listens?

I'm sorry that you feel that we don't pay attention. Admittedly we don't watch this forum as much as we could. But there are other forums like flexcoders where you may see more attention being paid (the fact that it can be used via email is huge for our team) and as we implement our open source process we hope to provide even more avenues for feedback and interaction with the team. Someone from our team has always read every request submitted from the wish forum, and now that we have the public bug system we will be able to analyze requests and plan future releases with more customer feedback in mind. Flex has to serve a variety of needs and that means that we can't address everyone's at the same time. However we do try to make sure that things are possible and will try to help folks find a way to accomplish things even if it's before the next release.

Matt
                  Adobe

• 6. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
                    Shiv_Kumar Level 1
                    Matt,

Thank you for you reply, understanding and explanation. I guess we'll have to wait and see if things get any better :)

FYI: I did post a number of bugs/enhacements in JIRA yesterday.

1. Rather than have many way in which to interact with the Flex community may you guys should have just one?

2. As great as JIRA seems/sounds it still relies on a "voting" system, which in turn means the community has to take the time to find and vote on bugs/enhancements. Borland tried this system many years ago and it never worked. Eventually they woke up (5 years TOO late) and fixed/enhanced a lot of the things in their database.

3. Some requirements are just too complex to explain in the form of written words. As a result I for one just let it be. For example, the ability to use Flex with VS.NET (ASP.NET serverside). The kinds of things that are required in order to this to not only work but actually be productive. Stuff introduced in FB3 is utterly useless. If the ASP.NET developer is not your target (The Java Enterprise most definately is), then let it be known so we don't expect things to improve nor waste our time.

4. We'll lets hear the variety of needs Flex needs to serve. That will help most of us not only decide if Flex is the right tool for us but will only let us know where Adobes efforts will be concentrated. Yes, I don't understand you can't please everyone all at once. But you can mange our expectations by letting us know in clear terms what Adobe's direction and plans for Flex is.

Thanks again for your time.

Shiv.
                    • 7. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
                      matt_chotin Level 3
                      I wish we could only have one method of communication but we're not in control of everything :-)

For the ASP.NET support, we are hoping to have much more in the Beta 2 version, there is more to come!

As for the rest, you're right, we're not there yet as far as public facing roadmap, priorities, etc. But we are getting there. The wiki at http://flexwiki.adobe.com/confluence/display/ADOBE/Home is a good start and we will be adding much more there over time, especially as the Flex 4 planning begins.

Matt
                      • 8. Re: Any Enhacements to the &lt;mx:Image&gt; control?
                        Shiv_Kumar Level 1
                        I'll be eagerly looking forward to the Beta 2 version.

Now if only I could actually use FB3 beta 1 on my VISTA Ultimate machine :(.