7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 12:40 PM by P_Forrest

a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO

P_Forrest Level 1

Hey gang,

Now that my new Win7 PC is fixed after three months of hellish freezes, etc...   basically, I reinstalled Win7 myself and all my drivers and software and I'm now cooking in 64-bit.  My hardware was never at fault, but the shop did a lazy install of the original OS on a first class machine.  Argh!!!! 

Anyway, I'm now leading a double life between PE9 and PR PRO CS5.   hehe

I bought the books Hunt suggested, but I still need to do the tutorials.   So, I get lazy and do a few things in PE9 and finish the job in Premiere Pro.  Is that mad, or what?

I'm glad I have both!!!   No crashes, no glitches, nuttin' !!!  Just smooth sailing!

cheerio

Petey

• 1. Re: a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

Great news!

I lead a double-life too. I just did two Projects that I started in PrE 4.0, and finished in PrPro 2.0 and EncoreDVD 2.0.

I use PrE as a tool, when I am not starting with great original Assets, and need to work with them. PrE does a better job with some Assets, than does PrPro, and that is why I picked it up to begin with. I also grab PrE, more often, than I need to, just to stay current (though it would be MORE "current," when I upgrade to PrE 9), just as I do with AfterEffects. Normally, I do what I can in PrPro, and then go to AE, when needed. If I force myself to use it more often, I would be better with it.

Each program has its uses. We are fortunate to have access to both. For me, Pro is still the more natural program. Though not installed yet (no 64-bit system), I have been spending time with PrPro CS5, and still feel that it fits me better, than PrE does. I like the total control, the lack of the streamlining of the GUI, and the lack of Presets. I also like the Timeline layout, in PrPro. But, that's just me.

Hunt

• 2. Re: a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO
            P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Hunt!

Indeed, we are fortunate, and PRO is more natural in the editing process in my books. I love it. It's also easy to mix audio and add audio effects.  Though, I'm still uneasy with a number of things.  PE9 is still my comfort food when required.

The only recent problem I had was after installing Adobe Audition 3.1 and it started to cause crackling in almost any audio playback on my PC.  I use the ASIO drivers in Pre Pro and PE9 and it wouldn't crackle, but outside of those two programs.... it would crackle in YouTube, etc.. suddenly.    Too bad, but I had to de-installed it and the crackling went away.  Yes, all my drivers are up to date (Win 7 Fatality, GeForce Nvidia 470, etc).   I'm already a SONAR man so I can use that or Soundbooth CS5 that works fine too.

cheers!

Petey

• 3. Re: a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

I did beta testing on SB, when CS3 was in development. Had no real issues with that, but as I used Audition 2.0 (then), I liked the Multi-Track function, and many more. Multi-Track was later added to about the CS4 release of SB, but I still have not used it since the earliest days.

I've never had an issue with Audition, but use the ASIO4All ASIO driver. Do not know if you have tried that. It is free, and has solved so very many issues for others with run-of-the-mill sound cards, up to some full-studio high-end stuff. After install, you just need to point to it in all of the programs, like Audition and PrPro. I cannot promise that it will solve your issues, but it would be easy to test.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for various reasons, I will also have both PrPro and PrE on my new machine.

• 4. Re: a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO
                P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Actually, I do use ASIO in recording and video editing programs and that is fine.  It's just listening to a CD can start crackling at times or just watching YouTube.   As far as I know, ASIO drivers are meant to be used within software programs and not as a general sound driver for just listening to music or watching videos.   If you know how to change that in the DEVICE MANAGER, please let me know.   That might solve my occasional crackling.    Though, installing Audition did suddenly cause crackling (not within the program) but just in general audio through the PC speakers.  It's almost as it changed some registry settings that the Creative Card and the GIGAbyte board did not like.  

I will certainly feel at ease when you have both programs installed on a 64-bit OS.  8-)

Petey

• 5. Re: a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO
                  nealeh Level 5

Check the settings for your Creative sound card. If it's an X-Fi card you will have two configuration utilities: the Console Launcher and the Audio Control Panel.

1.png

On my card, if it is set to 5.1 sound, it occassionally cuts out or muffles if the source is stereo. In those circumstances I set it to 2/2.1 in Entertainment Mode and all is well.

2.png

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO
                    nealeh Level 5

You could also work through the Creative Knowledge Base answer: X-Fi Sound Cards Crackling and Popping.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: a double life -- PE9 and PR PRO
                      P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Neale,

Thanks for the info.  I do have my sound set to 2.1 and I turned off all the enhancer stuff that often caused problems.  I have the Fatality card with the front bay.  I've looked before at that "Crackling..." subject on the Creative Forum and it's truly of epic proportions.  There are a lot people mad about that issue.  It literally can be anything from IRQs, to motherboard, to BIOS, to other sound drivers, until the end of the universe.  hehe

I did a full Win 7 reinstall and documented at each step what I installed and I tested the sound.   It was only with the addition of Audition 3 when the crackling started.  I don't like to blame a program but I can live without it since I have Soundbooth CS-5 and Sonar Producer 8.5 which both work fine.   I watched 20 YouTube vids last night and no crackling since I removed Audition.

I don't quite understand the SB ASIO drivers.  There is no help on them.  I've figured out to use the front bay RCA plugs for the best recording input and NOT the microphone.  That REALLY causes crackling.  The ASIO drivers for the RCA plugs has a great sound.

Petey