5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2007 5:09 AM by essaeyu

Regarding uploading director CD on the web

essaeyu
      Hi,

I have been trying to upload a CD made in director on to my organisation's intranet. Instead of providing the link to the projector i.e. the exe file, I give the link of the splash screen file to the user which is a dxr extension. The splash screen in turn calls the main.dxr. However the main.dxr file fails to open and an error message is shown. The dxr's according to my understanding, behave with relevance to the director exe file, and with the absence of the exe, they are behaving as they are now. Correct?

The solution could have been to give the user link to the exe file (which is far from ideal), but that fails as well as the exe asks for the path of the splash.dxr file. I reckon that one needs to publish director files for the web in a separate (DCR?) format. Or is there a way out?

Many thanks,

Essaeyu
        • 1. Re: Regarding uploading director CD on the web
          Level 7
          > However the main.dxr file fails to open and an error message is shown.

What does the error dialog say?
          • 2. Re: Regarding uploading director CD on the web
            Level 7
            essaeyu wrote:
            > I have been trying to upload a CD made in director on to my
            > organisation's intranet. Instead of providing the link to the
            > projector i.e. the exe file, I give the link of the splash screen
            > file to the user which is a dxr extension.

I suspect you'll need to point it to an .exe file.

> The splash screen in turn
            > calls the main.dxr. However the main.dxr file fails to open and an
            > error message is shown.

Go on, you know you want to tell us the exact error message...

Anyway, open the properties for the shortcut and change the working
            directory to be the one with the projector in, maybe that'll help it.

Also, you will need to set the projector to be read-only.

Andrew

• 3. Re: Regarding uploading director CD on the web
              essaeyu Level 1
              The error message is:

Unable to open file " http://intranet.my_organisation.com/CD/menu.dxr"

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

Anyway, open the properties for the shortcut and change the working
              directory to be the one with the projector in, maybe that'll help it.

Also, you will need to set the projector to be read-only.

Andrew

Sorry I didnt quite get the above, it is an already published CD by a third party, I do not have the source.

Linking to an exe is not desirable, though when I run it, it opens a file browser and asks: Where is splash. The CD has been uploaded as it was on the intranet so the relative file paths have not changed.
              • 4. Re: Regarding uploading director CD on the web
                Level 7
                essaeyu wrote:
                > The error message is:
                >
                > Unable to open file " http://intranet.my_organisation.com/CD/menu.dxr"
                >
                >
                >
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                >
                > Anyway, open the properties for the shortcut and change the working
                > directory to be the one with the projector in, maybe that'll help it.
                >
                > Also, you will need to set the projector to be read-only.
                >
                > Andrew
                >

>
                > Sorry I didnt quite get the above, it is an already published CD by a
                > third party, I do not have the source.
                >
                > Linking to an exe is not desirable, though when I run it, it opens a
                > file browser and asks: Where is splash. The CD has been uploaded as
                > it was on the intranet so the relative file paths have not changed.

Ahhh, I see. Some people refer to a LAN as an intranet, in which case my
                comments would have made sense.

It may be that the splash screen movie is using "go to movie x" but that
                won't work with http: because it needs to use "gotoNetMovie x". Depending on
                what else the movie uses, other changes may be needed too - and if it
                requires any xtras which are not Shockwave-safe then you may be out of luck.

Perhaps the developer of the CD can provide you with a modified version.

HTH

Andrew

• 5. Re: Regarding uploading director CD on the web
                  essaeyu Level 1
                  Yes requesting the publisher to give a web version seems to be the option. Thank you all for your help.