5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 4:29 AM by neil wilkes

First time Dual Layer Burn - help?!!

soundengineer21

This is the 1st time I've ever attempted a DL burn.  I bought Verbatim DVD-R  DL discs because regular DVD-R always worked best for me & I thought the DL  would work the same...

I've tried reading through the various discussions on various forums on how  to go about burning the project and now my head is spinning!!  all those sector  things & maths!!!  I've gathered that DVD+R DL are better... but I won't be  anywhere near a store that sells them till next week if that & the client  wants their discs now.  Can I can make do with what I have??

Now for help - I'm hoping someone can give a step-by-step for "dummies" as I  don't know dot about the sectors or anything!

Anyway, here's the setup -

I'm using Encore 1.5 for the authoring.  Its a client's wedding disc with 3  different days ceremonies = 3 timelines.  The chapters are all set from in PPro  at the important events eg. vows, speeches etc.

1st timeline is the biggest at 1hr 53:44:04

The other 2 are 00:56:51:07 and 00:55:52:04.

There is 1 menu with a play movie button from which the timelines flow one into the other  (with end actions), and then there are 3 other buttons - one to access each  timeline individually & using an 'override' command to return to the menu  & not play the preset 'end action'.

I created a disc image and encore prompted for a transition place as it  "couldn't create automatically"

the transition at chapter point option is greyed out and it offers me a point  (01:52:57:07) between 01:52:58:06 and 01:52:56:08.

I say ok and it builds the image.  The disc info page says "8.52 GB used.   15.79MB free"

After reading some stuff online, and with the suggestions that Encore wont  Burn to DVD-R DL (even though it shows the right details in the 'burn disc'  section) I downloaded ImgBurn.

I checked the ISO for the layer break info and it showed 2 green stars - both  at LBA 2084960 ; 50/50%.

One is VTS_02_1.VOB with N/A on all other columns, the other is VTS_02 ; PGC,  chapter & cell at 1 ; start 00:00:00:00 ; SPLIP no

When I put in the disc and loaded the image this is the info in the  right-hand column:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20 1.02 (ATA)
      Current Profile: DVD-R DL

Disc Information:
      State of Last Session:  Empty
      Erasable: No
      Free Sectors: 4,171,712
      Free Space: 8,543,666,176  bytes
      Free Time: 927:04:62 (MM:SS:FF)
      Next Writable Address:  0
      Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
      L0 Data Zone Capacity:  2,092,896
      Changeable: No

DVD-R DL Shifted Middle Area:
      Start Address: 2,092,896
      Changeable:  Yes

DVD-R DL Manual Layer Jump:
      Address: 4,294,770,688

Pre-recorded Information:
      Manufacturer ID: MKM 03RD30

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L0):
      Disc ID: 0-00
      Book  Type: DVD-R
      Part Version: 6
      Disc Size: 120mm
      Maximum Read Rate: Not  Specified
      Number of Layers: 2
      Track Path: Opposite Track Path  (OTP)
      Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
      Track Density: 0.74 um/track
      First  Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
      Last Physical Sector of Data Area:  16,566,527
      Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,289,503

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L1):
      Disc ID: 0-00
      Book  Type: DVD-R
      Part Version: 6
      Disc Size: 120mm
      Maximum Read Rate: Not  Specified
      Number of Layers: 2
      Track Path: Opposite Track Path  (OTP)
      Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
      Track Density: 0.74 um/track
      First  Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
      Last Physical Sector of Data Area:  16,566,527
      Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,289,503

Then when I try to press burn I get the following message:

"Optimal L1 Data Zone Start LBA: None Found (VTS_02).  This image has not  been mastered correctly for burning onto DL disc.  Cells dont meet 'Dvd-Video  spec' criteria for potential layer break position..  Continue anyway?"

I select no because I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong & don't want to  waste discs!!

I tried creating a dvd folder also, because I read something about it not  setting a layer break & then you can use other software to put that in &  burn - but encore gave me the exact same transition break message as for the  image.

What do I need to do to make this project right for the layer breaks etc.???   I want to learn about the sectors & stuff but need to go slowly!!

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: First time Dual Layer Burn - help?!!
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't be of much help on the details of layer breaks.

I tried creating a dvd folder also, because I read something about it not  setting a layer break & then you can use other software to put that in &  burn - but encore gave me the exact same transition break message as for the  image.

But the obvious question is what did imgburn do with the build to folder?  Encore determined the break in the iso you built, and imgburn can't do anything with that.  So try that and add that info.

• 2. Re: First time Dual Layer Burn - help?!!
            soundengineer21 Level 1

Thanks Stan!

I looked at the VIDEO_TS folder encore created with ImgBurn - It gave me several options on Layer Break positions.  I was just worried that because Encore had asked me to set the break during the folder build, that no matter what I chose in ImgBurn, the Encore break would interfere with the burn... thought I'd rather ask then waste a disc on a bad burn

Besides the fact I didn't know which LB option to even consider!!

• 3. Re: First time Dual Layer Burn - help?!!
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have an option not to set a layer break in Encore?  So a folder could go to imgburn with no break and set there?

• 4. Re: First time Dual Layer Burn - help?!!
                soundengineer21 Level 1

None that I could find?!  I only have v1.5  ... maybe newer versions have it. Or I'm just looking at it wrong.

• 5. Re: First time Dual Layer Burn - help?!!
                  neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Problem #1 - the biggie - is using -R DL discs.

There are 2 reasons for the problem with these discs, the main one being that it is impossible to set a layer break anywhere other than at 50% split point.

We have tried this again & again, in many apps, and it is simply not working unless you get lucky, and with a disc that full - forget it.

The other huge issue with -R DL is the lack of support for this in the majority of players - it's optionally supported and that means "not" in most.

Early players will probably play Layer 0 but not Layer 1 as the format most likely did not exist when the player was made, and very few manufacturers actually update firmware - most obsolete the player instead.

I would recommend attempting +R DL - you can set layer breaks with these, and support is wider.

As you are using IMGburn, do *not* - under any circumstances - set the Layer Break in Encore. It's frankly unreliable.

Output instead to a DVD Folder, and create the image using IMGburn in build mode.

Please get back in touch if issues persist - we do a lot of DL titles, and have got most of the issues solved.