11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 7:02 PM by the_wine_snob

How to Import wav file

toutmeister

Computer: Intel Pentium 4, CPU 3.00 MHz, single core,

Windows XP, srvc pk 3

Memory DDR2 3,072MB

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5400

Product PRE9

I'm trying to import a wav file (voice) via Get Media and it shows in the Organizer in a block with a red and green arrow.  I cannot bring it into the timeline.  Please help.

John Toutkaldjian

• 1. Re: How to Import wav file
          nealeh Level 5

The other option is to drag the audio file to your Project Media window. See if that works for you.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: How to Import wav file
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That red and green arrow thing usually indicates that the file has been moved or removed and the link to it has been lost.

This can happen if, for instance, the file is on an external drive, for instance, or an MP3 player and the device has been removed.

Where is the WAV file located now?

• 3. Re: How to Import wav file
              toutmeister Level 1

Neal and Steve,

I dragged the wav file from its original location on the hard drive directly into the PREL9 program (rather a clumsy work-around, but it worked) and was able to then bring it into the timeline.  Steve's question about where the file was located got me to thinking.  The PREL9 program is on drive G and the sound track folder is on drive C.  I dragged the file from C to G and, voila was able to import it in the conventional manner into the program.  So, I guess it's got to be in the same drive as program.  Gentlemen, thank you.

John Toutkaldjian

• 4. Re: How to Import wav file

Well, no, it certainly doesn't need to be on the same drive as the program -- in fact, it SHOULDN'T be on the same drive as the program.

But I have to recommend you only have Premiere Elements installed on your C drive. That could account for the program's strange behavior. It really won't run right unless it's on your main hard drive.

Your media and project files can be anywhere on your computer, as long as the program can find them.

• 5. Re: How to Import wav file
                  toutmeister Level 1

I don't think I made myself clear.  By program, I meant the "program" I am building from the raw footage and other components.  PREL9 is, indeed, on the C:/ drive.  The video raw footage, and now that I've moved it, the voice-over sound tracks, are on the G:/ drive.  Thanks for all your help.

John Toutkaldjian

• 6. Re: How to Import wav file

Technically, that would be called the project file -- or the .prel.

And they still don't need to be on the same drive as your media. Unless your media is on an external drive that you sometimes disconnect so that Windows sometimes assigns different drive letters to it.

• 7. Re: How to Import wav file
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Thank you for clearing that up.

I agree with Steve, and as a matter-of-fact, many often use separate HDD's for their Projects (often, but not always, with the Scratch Disks) and for their Assets. Spreading the I/O load over several, physical HDD's does enhance performance. Some, however, like the ease of housekeeping, will put all needed Assets in the Project's folder hierarchy, on the same drive.

If you are editing to/from an external HDD (do not recall that being mentioned, but those can cause issues), then this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to Import wav file
                        toutmeister Level 1

I'm not using an external hard drive.

If what you say is the case, how come I can import my sound tracks into the PREL when they're on the same hard drive, but not when the sound tracks are on another drive?

Puzzlement.

John

• 9. Re: How to Import wav file
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

The only thing that I can think of is that there are some permissions issues at play here, or some issue with that other HDD. There should be no issue with having Assets on a separate HDD. If there is, it will be at the system-level, or perhaps real-time anti-virus scanning, or similar. Do you have active, real-time anti-virus scanning? Is it turned ON? If so, try with it turned OFF. Same for spy-sweeping software, and some pop-up blocking software, that does file scanning. Also, Windows Indexing can "lock" files, denying programs, like PrE access to them for a fairly long period of time.

Otherwise, I agree that it is a puzzle, wrapped in a conundrum and stuffed into an enigma bottle...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How to Import wav file
                            toutmeister Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

I love your sense of humor.

I don't know the answer to these questions.  I'll look into it, but not immediately.  Now that I'm on a roll, I want to continue editing (you know what that's like).

If I sort it out, I'll report back.  Thanks to you and the others for all the help.  I feel very comfotable bringing these issues to you all.

John

• 11. Re: How to Import wav file
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Now that I'm on a roll, I want to continue editing (you know what that's like).

I certainly do. I suffer from tunnel-vision, and love to finish Projects in a linear fashion. Unlike my wife, I do not multi-task that well. In many ways, that tunnel-vision helps me and my clients, as I have 100% focus, until done.

Good luck,

Hunt