6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 7:12 AM by Kingyc

Problems removing Adobe Reader 7

Kingyc

Hi

I cant get Adobe Reader 7 off my PC to install the newer version. It is stuck in my C drive in 2 folders, one called Active X & the other Reader. When I try to delete them, I am told that the folders are in use & to shut down any programmes that are using them & try again, or access is denied & check the disk isnt full. I have unhidden all folders & deleted everything that it Adobe related but I still cant get them off. I cant download the new version because it keeps telling me that Abobe 7 is using the folders it needs. Help, I need to read a PDF for a meeting tomorrow and cant open it!

• 1. Re: Problems removing Adobe Reader 7
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Can you please try restarting your system and then try removing the folders. Some rogue process may still be using the folders.

Alternatively, you could also restart your system in Safe Mode and then try removing the culprit folders.

Hope this works

Ankit

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems removing Adobe Reader 7
            Kingyc Level 1

Hi Ankit

Thanks for your help. A partial success! The one file deleted successfully when I restarted but the other one remains & is still not letting me delete it. Its got folders within it. one caleed AccroIEhelper.dl and the other one pdfshel.dll. Both say they cant be deleted.

• 3. Re: Problems removing Adobe Reader 7

Great...!! Some headway..

You can now try restarting in Safe Mode as in the above post. That will restart the system with the minimum set of drivers and requirements and should help you delete all the respective folders/files.

Thanks

Ankit

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problems removing Adobe Reader 7
                Kingyc Level 1

Thanks again for your help. I restarted in safe mode & was able to remove a further folder which is great, but pdfshll.dll remains stubborn,. Again I got the message that access was denied & to check that the disk inst full or protected and that the file isnt currently in use. This is the only folder left from what I can see now, the rest have all gone.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Problems removing Adobe Reader 7

Can you please check the permissions of the file by right clicking and seeing the Properties for the file. It may be that the file is Read Only or likewise.

Also, you could try unregistering the file and then try deleting it. You can unregister file by executing the following command:

regsvr32.exe /u "path to pdfshell.dll"

eg. regsvr32.exe /u "C:\program Files\Common Files\adobe\acrobat\activex\pdfshell.dll"

You should be able to delete it afterwards.

Thanks

Ankit

• 6. Re: Problems removing Adobe Reader 7
                    Kingyc Level 1

Thanks again for your help. When I try to do this it tells me it has failed.

When I bring up run to type in the command, it seems to automatically come

up with D:\Documments and Settings\ and then my name. I have then typed in

the command, exactly as you show it. The file is actually in my C drive not

the D drive. I wondered if this was the issue? I have checked, and have

administrator rights.

Thanks once again for your help, I am really grateful as desperate to open

pdf docs for work and still cant.