2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 9:46 AM by maziak

Application crashing after Flash 10.2 Update

mesembria

After updating to the latest version of Flash (10.2.152.26), our web application began crashing. The application is written using Flex.

I'm using Windows 7 (32-bit), but it has crashed on Windows Vista (32-bit) as well. It crashes on IE8, Firefox 3.6, and Chrome 9. However, it does not crash when using the debug version of the Flash Player.

I've tried enabling and disabling the hardware acceleration. I've also updated my video drivers to the latest version.

The Event Viewer shows the following when IE crashes:

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16700, time stamp: 0x4cd23213

Faulting module name: Flash10m.ocx, version: 10.2.152.26, time stamp: 0x4d4b5d09

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003d2ca5

Faulting process id: 0x20c8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbc87f98a2a32d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10m.ocx

If I've posted this in the wrong forum or if you need more information, let me know.

Thank you,

Philippe Moore

• 1. Re: Application crashing after Flash 10.2 Update
          Yeri T

Hi Philippe,

we had the same problem. The only workaround we found was:

• find the exact part of your code which causes the crash (it can be anything - in our case, it was a simple and perfectly valid switch-case command). Use ExternalInterface.call("alert") command if you can't use trace(). (The problem seems to occur only in non-debug flash player.)
          • reorganize the crashing code (for example, we moved the switch-case command into separate function), so that the byte-code slightly changes, but not the functionality.

The crash should not occur any more.

This is extremely frustrating bug crashing perfectly functional applications. One only hopes Adobe will fix it soon.

Jiri Tobisek

Wix.com

• 2. Re: Application crashing after Flash 10.2 Update
            maziak Level 1

Hi Jiri

Initially your suggestion seemed misleading, but we also traced our issue to a switch statement. There was a potential for a null-pointer exception to occur withing one of the cases. Wrapping the switch statement in a try-catch seemed to fix the problem We have dozens of switch statement & there could be more potential places for our app crashing so we're going to check all of our switch statements.

Thanks for your clue

Cheers

Tracy