14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2016 12:38 PM by DiamondBackMatt

Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?

Mr Nielsen Level 1

Hi

I have a clip with a moving object. When watching some tutorials on the motion tracking feature, I noticed that when i put my time line "marker" where I would like to start my motion track, followed by clicking on the motion tracker icon above the time line, I should get a square that I can resize and put on top of the object i would like to track. The problem I have right now is that when clicking the motion tracking icon, I do NOT get this "square" that should make it possible to position my tracker on the right object in the clip ?? What could the reason for this be ? The only thing that happens when clicking the icon is that I get the possibility to position the whole clip in whatever direction ? How can I get the tracker position box to get visible ? Anyone ?

BR

Helmut

• 1. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Helmut,

The only thing that happens when clicking the icon is that I get the possibility to position the whole clip in whatever direction ?

It sounds like you are getting the fixed Effect>Motion>Position, rather than Motion Tracker, but I could be wrong there. It could be that the Bounding Boxes look the same.

On your Bounding Box, do you have little handles (usually little squares, that might be just on the corners, but may also be in the middle of each side of the Bounding Box? If you click-darg on one of those handles, what happens?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
            Mr Nielsen Level 1

Hi

WHen clicking motion tracker icon, I get a yellow big rectangle immediatelly...see below

It's like Pe doesnt let me define the area myself, instead jsut setting up a defined area for what to track for some reason ? This yellow rectangle is of course tooooo big to be able to track the sailing boat in my example......and I have tried to drag the borders of the rectangle/click the rectangle etc etc... but not possible. Something must be very wrong here...or am I just misunderstanding something totally....

What could be done ?? //H

motiontrack2.jpg

• 3. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you clicked the Tracking Object button (on the Monitor panel) to create a new tracking object (square)?

This doesn't look like a Tracking Object square. It looks more like a Safe Margin.

If you can describe the steps you're taking to start Motion Tracking, that would help.

I give you step-by-step instructions in my books.

• 4. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                Robert J. Johnston Level 2

That orange square is a tracking object square that you cannot resize. I'm looking at one right now on my screen. You can select it and then delete it (temporarily). When you select it, it turns blue.

• 5. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                  Mr Nielsen Level 1

Hi again

After selecting my clip on the time line I clicked the button indicated by below screenshot. NOTE, I had the trial version of PE9 installed on another machine and tried the same thing on that one...and here it worked. So, below screenshot os from the trial version "computer" ..but this is just to show you that I most likely are doing the right thing

BUT - when I do the same thing using my new installed PE 9 (licensed) the problem occurs which I described earlier, i.e I do not get this re-sizable square..instead I just get this yellow fixed square which should be how it should look after I have highlighted my tracking area. So, see below for what I'm clicking.....works in this screenshot in the trial version but exactelly the same thing does not behave the same on the other machine - must be some setting or something stupi ? Please suggest what to do.....things like this drives me nuts Thanks //Helmuttrial.jpg

• 6. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                    Robert J. Johnston Level 2

I'll tell you this much, once you have added tracking objects to a clip, they persist along with all the other "analyzed" information in the Organizer. Even if you start a new project, if you add the clip to the timeline, tracking objects are still associated with it from other projects. When you click the tracking icon to turn on tracking motion, prior objects appear as orange squares if you had tracked that section of the clip, as indicated by the CTI, at some other time, even in a different project.

Now what you have to do is click the "Add object" button at the top-right of the preview monitor in order to start another tracking object.You can also temporarily delete the orange square, but it will come back if you give the "Show All" command by right-clicking and selecting from a pop-up menu.

In order to permanently remove the tracking objects and to remove all other "analyzed" information from a clip, you have to delete the clip from the Organizer. You can then add the clip back to the organizer and start fresh. Maybe you don't want to do that because analyzing can take a long time to complete depending on the length of the clip. So you are then stuck with that clip having numerous tracking objects and no other way to permanently get rid of them.

• 7. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                      Mr Nielsen Level 1

Thanks for the reply...but not usre if I fully understand what you mean. I'm cu

rrently at the office and here I only have the trial version that seems OK when I try the motion tracker....but back home where I have this problem I have never seen that re-sizable quare when this clip has been added.......will have a close look when I get back home this afternoon..

But to make sure I understand what you are saying needs to be done, could you please attach a screenshot of that option you meanI should go for ("Add object" in the top right of the preview window)...atleast in the trial version I'm looking at I can not locate such button at all....?? Didnt think that kind of features were "disabled" in the trial version......but please, would appreciate if you could give a screen about what button you mean so I dont misunderstand....

Thanks

• 8. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?

You still haven't said if you're clicking the Add Tracking Object button on the Monitor.

And, I hope it goes without say, the CTI playhead MUST be positioned over the clip you're adding the Motion Tracking to.

• 9. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                          nealeh Level 5
                          1. Select a clip to enable Motion Tracking Mode

1.png
                          2. This surrounds the frame with a yellow banding box and adds the Add Object button to the top right of the Monitor pane. Click it.

2.png
                          3. Select the Track Object option and a smaller resizeable box appears on the screen. You can position this to cover the area you want tracked.

3.png
                          4. Now when you preview your clip you should see the yellow tracking box around the object you selected:

4.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?

Great illustrations, Neale! As you can see, the CTI must be over the clip on the timeline!

• 11. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                              Mr Nielsen Level 1

Thanks Neale

I missed one "little" thing :-) Now everything works with the motion tracking......great- thanks mate !!

//Helmut

• 12. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                                nealeh Level 5

Good news. Happy editing.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?

And now you know why we ask for details!

• 14. Re: Motion tracking mode in PE 9 ?
                                    DiamondBackMatt

Hi

I've read the solution here and am doing everything correctly. Video clip is selected, CTI is over it when I click the Motion Tracking Mode Icon it does nothing.

I don't see an "Add object Button", yellow window or anything else for that matter.

I've restored workspace to no avail also.

And I am using PE 10