2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 2:08 PM by LordMysterious

Default Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

LordMysterious Level 1

Evenin' all.

I've got a problem with a flash application I'm creating. I have put an FLV movie in frame 10 of a scene, but whenever I test the movie it just says:

[CODE]TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
          at Prototype_fla::MainTimeline/__setProp_commentsPlayer_Variables_Content_0()
          at Prototype_fla::MainTimeline/frame1()[/CODE]

Variables is the name of the scene, commentsPlayer being the name of the FLV player. What is causing this to happen? I have tested the video on its own in a new file and it works fine :confused:

I also get the same problem with buttons in different frames/scenes.

I'm relatively new to Flash so it's probably something pretty small but vital.

• 1. Re: Default Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
          jvonmutius

I'm not familiar with that error, so I don't think you've given enough information to diagnose your problem. What kind of FLV player are you using? Are you using actionscript to control it? If so, 2.0 or 3.0? Where are the actions (frame or object)?

• 2. Re: Default Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
            LordMysterious Level 1

Ignore the 'Default' bit at the start of the question, that's just a typo.

I'm using Flash CS4/AS 3.0, the Flash movie is split up into scenes, I've added an FLVPlayback component to the stage in frame 10 (keyframe) in one of the scenes (not the first scene) and specified the source and other component settings using the component inspector. I'm not using ActionScript for this currently.

The problem occurs when I try to test the movie, it throws up this output when compiling:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
                 at Prototype_fla::MainTimeline/__setProp_commentsPlayer_Variables_Content_0()
                 at Prototype_fla::MainTimeline/frame1()

The FLVPlayback is obviously 'commentsPlayer' in scene 'Variables'.