3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 5:10 AM by JVSXYZ

Still cant open embedded files with Adobe Reader 10.0.1

lankinho123

Hi!

In the first version of Adobe Reader X you had to disable the Protection Mode in order to open PDF-files on a network drive or that are embedded in a i.e Word document.

I have now upgraded my version to 10.0.1.

The first issue seems to be solved (open files on a network drive). But I still cant open PDF files embedded in another file??

I get the error message: The Program used to create this object is AcroExch. That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding. To edit this object, install AcroExch or ensure that any dialog boxes in AcroExch are closed.

And if I try to embedd a PDF-file myself into a document I get the same result.

As soon as I turn of the Protection Mode it works...

Is there a way to keep the PM on and still be able to open documents???

Regards Daniel

• 1. Re: Still cant open embedded files with Adobe Reader 10.0.1
          JVSXYZ

I'm not sure why Adobe hasn't looked into this.  One description elsewhere in the forum seems to suggest that if the computer has had older versions of the reader installed, it will work -- somehow the embedded file needs an older registry key.  I have yet to try installing older versions of reader onto my machine.  This machine has only had reader 10 installed on it.

I tried the recommendation that is given in another thread.  Turn off running reader in protected mode.  The first time I did it, it didn't work.  The second time I unchecked the "use in protected mode" box, I closed and then reopened reader.  Now I can open embedded pdfs in word.

• 2. Re: Still cant open embedded files with Adobe Reader 10.0.1
            lankinho123 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. So what your saying is that there is no way of opening a

embedded PDF-document with Protection Mode on?

• 3. Re: Still cant open embedded files with Adobe Reader 10.0.1
              JVSXYZ Level 1

Hi,

For me, for now, turning off protected mode (in Acrobat Reader) seems to be

the only way that

I can guarantee being able to read embedded PDFs.  I'm not sure if Adobe

will come up with

some fix, but another thread wanted me to add registry keys, since I don't

have admin rights,

that's not possible.  There were a bunch of keys listed so I thought it was

a bit of a shotgun

fix -- with no guaranteed outcome.