3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2011 2:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Simple beginner's question: What's the quickest way to export a single clip?

Linda ff

I've started using Premier Elements because this was taking too long on my previous editor.

I'm a piano teacher who uses video as one of the aids for my pupils, and I often record a whole book in one sitting, announcing the titles of the pieces as I go, then clipping my announcmeents (and false starts, swearing, etc) when editing, and adding text titles instead. These are then uploaded to pupils'own poages on my teaching website.

However, many of my pupils want to work from single clips.

My previous method was to keep deleting everything from the project except the clip I want, processing that, then opening the project again withut saving. This seems to me a complete waste of my time if I can export one clip at a time.

I've only been using Premier Elements one day, so maybe there's something obvius I've missed! Someone, please tell me there's a quicker way than what I'm doing! There might be up to 40 clips in one video

• 1. Re: Simple beginner's question: What's the quickest way to export a single clip?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

Welcome to the forum.

Your method is certainly one way to do it, and in particular situations, I will employee that, but with good reason.

Now, when you have your Timeline edited, you can set the WAB (Work Area Bar) over just the Clip(s), that you wish to Export/Share. Most Export/Share options will restrict the output to JUST that WAB, though there are a few options, where the WAB cannot be honored - but very frew.

The WAB can also be used to restrict Rendering of portions of the Timeline, should one need to Render to see the smoothest possible playback.

Here is a look at the WAB from PrE 4.0. It works the same way in later versions, though the Timeline display might be a little different:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Hope that this helps you,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simple beginner's question: What's the quickest way to export a single clip?
            Linda ff Level 1

Thanks, Bill! Actually version 9 looks a little clearer than that, as it has two bold clear white paddles to mark the edge of the work area.

I was a little frustrated at first, because whatever I did, it still took a year and exported the entire video.

Then:

I caught sight of this teeny tiny box waiting for a tick from me, which said:

Share Work area Bar Only

We have lift-off 

Thanks again. So much quicker than all that deleting ahnd hoping you don't accidentally say "yes" when prompted to save changes!

• 3. Re: Simple beginner's question: What's the quickest way to export a single clip?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that it worked for you.

I have not had the opportunity to study the PrE 9 GUI, but glad that it got a bit cleaner. I find too many things that one needs to hunt carefully for in PrE 4.0. Kudos to Adobe.

When I feel that I will need to do additional editing, but just for segments of a single Project, I do the Delete/Save_As. For just Export/Share, the WAB is my choice.

Good luck,

Hunt