• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to truly "Expire" an Adobe Captivate 4 File?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2011 Feb 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Captivate Gurus,

I am aware that setting an Expiry Date to a Captivate 4 file, has no effect if the user of the final SWF file decides to backdate his computer clock.

Is there a "fail-safe" method to ensure that I can circulate a SWF file for a trial period, after which it expires?

Then the user will have to purchase it from me.

These files will be available for download on pay-per-click basis and are not hosted for online viewing.

The software industry "thrives" on this methodology.

I am surprised, a Captivate 4 SWF file cannot even effectively implement it!

Appreciate any pointers!!!

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a week and $99, I found the answer!

There is a software, that converts a SWF into an EXE and puts a "Trial Limitation" of X number of Days or X number of launches on the EXE file.

The file owner can determine the value of X.

The limitation does a hardware lock on the Windows and BIOS clocks, so the user cannot easily bypass the expiry date.

Just the way, Adobe puts a trial period on its products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Andrew, I've been looking for such a solution. My client wants the content to expire 90 days from the first viewing. I have an installer that will delete itself, etc but need something that expires the content 90 days out, rather than having to recompile a new .exe every few days because of the 'static date' field within Captivate.

Can I make use of the variables within Captivate to accomplish this?

Any help is truly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources